thirty-five

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"And I'm serious -- if you contact Ryan in any way, I will make sure Kyle will hurt you." Stacy hissed as they walked out of the office building. "And trust me, I will know."

Lydia winced but nodded. She wanted to throw up at the thought of what Ryan was feeling right now -- practice was over and he had heard the voicemail. He was probably so scared and confused -- they had just decided to work towards a relationship and now? Now, she pulled the rug out from right under him in the worst possible way.

She was terrified that he was angry at her. He had every right to be. But she was scared too, scared that Stacy wasn't bluffing and really was going to send Kyle to hurt her and Caroline. But she was even more terrified that she wasn't going to be able to fix this with Ryan, whenever that happened.

"Have a good weekend! I'm heading to Martinsville!" Stacy chirped, climbing into her car.

Lydia stood there, watching as Stacy reversed, peeling out of the parking lot. She grabbed her phone, with every intention of calling Ryan and letting him know what had just happened and why she left that voicemail. But Stacy's words echoed in Lydia's ears and she shoved it back in her handbag.

Lydia knew she needed a game plan but she couldn't get her thoughts in order to think of one. All she could think to do was run.

But Caroline.

Her heart sank. She needed to find a way to tell Caroline... something. She couldn't bear to tell Caroline that she couldn't see Ryan anymore -- not if there was a way to fix it.

How could she fix this? Lydia climbed into her car. She hoped that something would come to her -- and quickly. Because Lydia could feel the familiar desperation setting in, sending shockwaves through her body. She had promised herself that she'd never feel this way and yet -- here she was.

Sobs wracked her body -- she couldn't hold it in any longer. She cried for half an hour -- her bitterness seeping out through her tears. This was so unfair -- she should have known that this was going to end up going in flames, she'd never find happiness -- certainly not after this.

Just when she thought everything was okay, thought that she and Ryan had a future -- it was ripped away. And she had to be the one to do it. God, Ryan had to know by now and he was devastated -- and probably filled with hate for her.

Her mind drifted off to what she should do next. One thought was clear -- Lydia had to run. She had to go somewhere to be able to think. To be able to figure out what to do next. But she needed somewhere safe for Caroline.

"Louisa," Lydia whispered to herself. She knew she could leave Caroline there, it would be safe there -- Stacy and Kyle would have no way of knowing Louisa's address.

She pulled her phone out, dialing Louisa's number. She was thankful that she had kept in touch with Louisa over Facebook and weekly calls. Louisa had been delighted to hear that Ryan had made an effortless transition into their lives.

"Lydia, hi!" Louisa's warm voice filled her ear.

"Louisa." Lydia choked out. "Can I drop Caroline off at your house. I don't know how long I'll be gone but..." Hot tears streamed down her face.