Chapter 1. Alone Again

Caroline Prewett had always dreamed of a Summer Romance. She was lying in bed, listening to her Beatles record and painting a denim Jacket, imagining what she would say if she ever met her soul mate. She was snapped out of her trance by a pillow being smashed into it her head.

"turn that crap off" Marlene complained. She was packing up for the holidays, everyone was heading home.

"The Beatles are not crap. They taught your cold English friend to love. I love the Beatles, and true love lasts forever" Caroline said turning the volume up and tossing the pillow aside.

"is that from love actually? " Lily asked surprised. Caroline giggled.

The girls finished packing and headed downstairs. The common-room was buzzing with excitement. They boarded the train tonight for the holidays, and chaos was emerging. Half of the Gryffindors surrounded the Marauders who lounged themselves next to the fire.

James noticed Lily and sprang to his feet. "Lily darling, you only have today to go out with me before we leave each other," he said leaning on the staircase.

Lily rolled her eyes and then frowned. "aren't you going on holiday?" she asked confused. James smiled

"no. We won't be able to see each other then, I'm staying here" he said smugly.

"do you actually think that constantly asking her out and pretending that she likes will actually make that happen? " Mary said, looking down at him. James poked his tongue out at her.

Caroline was used to being seen through. The only reason Marlene and Lily and the rest were friends with her was because they were in the same dorm.

She had waist-length light brown hair, with a slight curl tugging at the ends, amber eyes, and a smile that lit up her face. Her aesthetic was breathtaking. Her makeup looked like it was out of an Autumn styled magazine. She stuck to the Autumn colors. Her common look was mum jeans, converse, and some sort of band T-shirt. She loved painting and drawing. Her jacket was covered in record covers and band logos she painted in her spare time. She almost always had paint on her. Caroline was an amazing musician and sang like an angel. She also had a love for classic literature. She smelt like Christmas, a mix of pine, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

They headed out for breakfast with the Marauders. Everyone had their groups and Caroline walked in silence. She overheard a conversation with Marlene and Sirius.

"I heard that music playing this morning from your dorm, sounded like a vinyl." Sirius was saying.

"yeah, it was. It was the Beatles," she replied.

"do you like them? I do" he said happily.

"oh I love them. All the other girls get sick of me playing them" Marlene giggled without a glance at Caroline. The girls were always doing this, complaining when Caroline said something and then saying the same thing 5 minutes later to someone they liked.

"yeah, who else do you like? " Sirius asked with his hand in his pocket.

"oh umm," Marlene glanced at Caroline's jacket. She started reading off the back of it, the bands Caroline had painted.
"the stones, AC-DC, queen, the beach boys" she listed them off. Sirius laughed saying he liked the same bands.

"Why is there a yellow bikini on your Jacket? " Lily asked, realizing they were once again excluding her. Caroline blushed, she hated people noticing her.

"It's an Ittsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini," She said, referring to the song. They all looked at her strangely. Sirius laughed

"I thought I was the only one who knew that song" he walked up to her.

"Ha, yeah" she mumbled. She was relatively certain this was the first time he had spoken to her.

"Sirius Black," he said holding his hand out.

"Linny Prewett," she said not taking his hand. Whenever she said her name was Caroline, everyone started singing 'Sweet Caroline ' which she was sick of.

"I know. You sit next to me in charms" he said.

"you knew that? " she asked surprised, he looked at her confused.

"of course I do, you always get everything right, but never say anything about it." He chuckled. She blushed furiously. Marlene wasn't liking not getting attention.

"so Sirius," she said grabbing his arm. "when are you free on the holidays? "

Breakfast was pleasant enough, everyone was talking about the holidays. A list came to double-check who was staying over the break. James and Caroline would be the only ones in Gryffindor from their year staying. Caroline wasn't impressed. Her holiday would most likely consist of him pestering her about Lily. There were a few other Gryffindors staying, and a handful of other students. Only 20 altogether.

"why are you staying? " Alice asked James.

"parents are going to France to visit a weird cousin that keeps trying to make out with me," he said grinning.

"you wish" Mary snorted.

"Linny," Lily said sitting next to her. "you always stay during holidays. Why? Don't your parents miss you? "

Caroline sighed. She knew that Lily meant good. But they never listen enough to take notice.

"My parents were divorced by the time I was 4. I live with an aunt" she said, she barely remembered her parents, and her aunt was vile. The table was silent.

"lucky you," Sirius said, a hint of envy in his voice.

"Sirius, go put a sickle in the self-pity jar," Remus said picking at his toast.

"what do you mean? " Caroline asked

"my parents." he began. "are the most vile things. I wish I could divorce them, or they would get divorced, and I could leave" he said, a look of hate in his eyes.

"I don't know," Caroline said. "my aunt would give your parents a run for their money"

"oh really? " Sirius chuckled "Maybe they should have diner" Caroline laughed.

The rest of the day passed in a flash. And soon all the students were crammed into the station organizing seats for the ride home. Lily hugged Caroline goodbye as did the other girls.

"Have a good holiday" they said, getting on the train. Caroline saw the Marauders parting ways with James. He seemed to be wishing Remus good luck. He hugged Sirius who looked somber.

Caroline made her way back up to the castle.

"alone again. Naturally " she said to herself.