25. Let's hurt tonight

Notting Hill, 5 July '67, 6:04 PM

I was exhausted by the time I got home from work. It had been a really long day to say the least. I had worked the morning shift, starting at six and ending at four. I actually liked working that shift, as I got to wake up the kids on the ward, but today, for some reason, had been so busy. I didn't think I got to sit down once.

On top of that I also had an appointment with Mrs Starkey for one of her final check-ups. The woman was well into her third trimester now, ready to pop as they said. I wouldn't mind an appointment with her if it was just the lady. Frankly, the mindless chatter about mothering was a welcome change from the chitchat by the children.

But no, unfortunately for me, it wasn't just Mrs Starkey. Ever since Ritchie Starkey, the husband, found out about how I had spent my nights with his bandmate, he came to every appointment with her. He clearly didn't trust me. I guess I had given him reason for that.

Though, Paul must've said something about it, as he had suddenly gotten a lot nicer again. The first appointment after he found out had been hell. He was clearly watching my every move, ready to sack me. He should be satisfied; I had ended it after all. Just like he wanted, wasn't it?

By the time I finally got home, I wanted nothing more than cuddle up on the couch with a package of crisps and a glass of the finest white wine three shillings could get you. Except, apparently the universe had different plans for me.

'Maggie called a couple of times. She needs you to call her right away,' Fran said the moment I opened the front door. I didn't even get to walk inside. When I finally did, my best friend continued. 'Don't worry, she assured me. 'No one is sick, dying or dead. But it is urgent apparently.'

'That's odd. Thank you, though,' I said with narrowed eyes. I took my bag off my shoulder and hung it over the back of a chair, after which I walked to the telephone in the kitchen.

It took me a while to get a hold of an operator who could connect me to my sister, but when I finally did, she picked up before it even rang once. 'I'm sorry, Archie. I messed up!' she burst out, not even greeting me.

'Maggie, what's going on?' I asked her, very confused and also very aware Fran was listening to my every word. It must've been a quiet day at the office if she listened to my phone conversations for her entertainment.

'I'm so sorry. But I think I messed something up for you,' she said, not actually answering my question.

'I'm sure you're fine. What did you do? Tell me,' I pushed on. I was getting quite interested now. If she thought it was so bad, than something must've happened. Whether it was a good or a bad thing, I didn't know yet, but I was sure going to find out.

'Arch, is Paul McCartney the guy you've been having an affair with?' she asked, completely taking me out of the blue. I was not expecting that answer.

'Well, he was, yes,' I answered, truthfully. My heartrate sped up with the mention of Paul, though. If she was asking me this question, it couldn't be good. 'Why are you asking me that?'

'I was walking to Piccadilly during my lunch hour today and maybe crossed his path? I didn't recognise him at first, but apparently he recognised me. That is to say, he thought I was you,' she explained. Shit, this was not good. 'He started apologising and I had no clue why. It was really strange, I'm so sorry, Archie.'

'That's okay, Mags. I don't want to see him again, anyways. I'm sure what you said, was fine,' I assured her. It must be fine as I wasn't meeting Paul McCartney anytime soon.

'No, it's not good. I panicked, because I didn't know what to do. So I told him we'd talk about it tonight?' It came out as a question and now I understood why she was so sorry. This really wasn't good at all.