Chapter Three- And I don't even know my last name

Grace

I woke on the couch in the livingroom, Zip was nowhere to be seen. Groggily I pushed up to sitting, shoving the hair out of my face. Through the livingroom window I could see the sun had well risen. From the kitchen direction I could hear a kettle boiling and after stretching, I make my way that direction. The back sliding door was slightly ajar, I could see Zips crossed ankles protruding out from the right of the frame. Looking around I saw he had pulled out two mugs and left them sitting by the now boiled kettle. Putting coffee in both, I added a smidge of milk to mine and left his black, to be safe. Walking cautiously to the back door I pushed it open with my elbow before exiting the house.
Zip looked up as I emerged, a cigarette in his right hand which was resting on the armrest of the garden chair.
"I didn't know whether you took milk or sugar too." I said quietly, feeling like my voice was breaking through the peace of the morning.
"Black is fine." He said and I handed the mug over before reclining into the chair beside him. I looked across the small garden out by the trees.
"You moved me to the couch." I commented. From my peripheral, he shrugged his large shoulders.
"Couldn't leave a girl lying on the floor, wasn't raised that way." he answered.
"Thank you.", I paused, " Where are we, like, what is near us?" I asked.
"There's a town about a half hour drive away, small but has what you need." he answered, not giving me much but something all the same.
"Can we go in today?" I asked still looking out at the trees, seeing a small trail veering off to the left at the back of the garden, entering into the woods and disappearing with the trees.
"Why on earth would we?" He asked, an edge creeping into his voice. I took a deep breath, not wanting to ruin the ambience of the morning.
"We need food don't we?" I replied gently.
"We're stocked up for at least a week or so." he didn't miss a beat. I took another breath.
"I need clothes. I have nothing but what I wore yesterday. Honestly, we don't have to be there half an hour and we can be gone again. I just need a quick few essentials. Please?" I added hopeful. It was his turn to take a deep breath, before he settled further into the chair.
"I need a shower and then we can go." He confirmed and a small relieved smile came across my face. I setlled back and watched the trees more slowly in the breeze. I continued to sit there as he got up and left without a word, closing the door fully after himself. I didn't think anything bad of it, in fact, it was the first conversation we had had that I felt he didn't despise me.
I smiled into my coffee; maybe we would be okay.

"Can you not leave me alone for five minutes? Where do you think I'm going to go?" I asked angrily, briskily walking ahead of him.
"Nope", he popped the 'P', " Last time you were left alone for two minutes you got our club attacked, I can't take the risk." He said easily. I shuttered to a stop turning to glare at him. His face was expressionless but his eyes twinkled with amusement.
"I don't find you funny."
"I wasn't joking" He replied and I turned forward again to continue my stomping.
"Fine, suit yourself." I replied and veered towards the womens section. Ignoring him entirely I picked up three pairs of jeans, a few comfy tops and two oversized hoodies. I grabbed socks and briskily searched my way through the underwear until I found half a dozen nice pairs.
"Cute." he commented over my shoulder.
"Fuck off." I grumbled and headed for the check out, grabbing leggoings on my way. His laughter trailed behind me.
We left the clothes shop after I paid and I veered towards the grocery store.
"We have food." He commented and I rolled my eyes.
"I won't be two minutes, why don't you wait in the car?" I asked politely but he shook his head grining at me like I somewhat amused him. Entering the shop I glanced at the isles to find what I was looking for before turning to him.
"I saw no fruit in the house, will you grab some? I'm going to get shampoo." I tilted my head in the directed of the fruit and vegetables. He looked that way before he turned back to me.
"There's a fruit bowl full on the counter." he replied and I huffed.
"Can I have two minutes to look around the shop please?" I said exasperated. His chin jutted to the side in consideration.
"Do you not get the severity of our situation? I can't leave you incase anything happens." His eyes not longer twinkled.
"Fuck sake, I need shampoo and... Feminine hygiene products. Do you really need to be with me when I pick them?" I demand, my cheeks aflame. I watched understanding set in. I rolled my eyes; men.
"I'll stand at the top of the isle where I can see you so." he compromised. I swiftly moved towards what I needed. I grabbed everything from razors to make up removal wipes. Lord knew how long we were going to be stuck in that house.
Leaving the store I went towards to parking lot before I noticed Zip wasn't with me. Turning I saw him looking down the path at a cafe.
"Hungry?" he called without looking at me and like my stomach had heard him, it rumbled in response.
"Yeah, I could eat." I said easily feeling like we had come along way seen as yesterday we were yelling at eachother.
The cafe was small and cosy, consisting of couches and cushioned armchairs. I ordered a tea and BLT. Zip got a coffee, black  and full breakfast, the food almost over flowing the plate.
"So how did you become part of the club?" I asked as I added milk to my tea.
"Knew a few lads that were in the club, got initiated in under them and had what it takes to be part of the brothers. I've been there since." He replied, not giving much but I'd learned quickly that Zip was a man of few words.
"What age were you?" I asked taking a bite of the bagel.
"Twenty-one." He answered, digging into the plate, his focus on his food.
'You were young." I observed.
"Yep." He agreed having nothing further to add. We ate in comfortable silence until we were both finished. He had practically inhaled his food. I had always been a slow eater. I had just finished the end of my tea when he stood ready to leave. I didn't get a word in edgewise in paying; he didn't even look at me as I protested.
We arrived back to the house to see a van sitting in the drive. I felt my body freeze but Zip remained relaxed.
"One of the brothers." He called over his shoulder.
We got off his bike and walked into the unlocked house to find an average height, built good looking lad sitting on the couch in th living room, T.V on. He had his feet up on the table and a beer bottle in his hand.
"Well hello there, where were you kids gone?" he called cheerfully. His eyes focused on me.
"Hello there. Grace I'm assuming. I've heard many things, my names Banks. I've been away so didn't get the pleasure of meeting you. Heard it all though." He commented and I flinched at what he was insinuating.
"I bet you did." I remarked back lifting my chin. I'd apologised, I wasn't about to do it again. He noticed that and after a moment threw his head back and laughed.
" You're going to be fun, Gracie." he rose rather fluidly considering his bulk. "Zip, all good?" He asked looking toward the man behind me.
"Must you break into my Moms house?" Zip said as a reply as he make his way into the kitchen, Banks and I following behind.
"I don't know why you picked here, it isn't exactly heavily secure." Banks continued in a taunting manner. Zip looked over his shoulder.
"And what's in the back of your van?" he asked and my gaze swung towards Banks. A grin lit his face before he answered.
"Shit to secure your house."
"Exactly." Zip grumbled.  He grabbed a beer bottle and returned to the livingroom without looking at me. Banks gave me a grin before he retreated as well. I paused for a minute unsure what to do at first before I decided that, hell, if I was going to be here for awhile, and we were in the middle of nowhere I might as well get to know my surroundings. Dropping the backpack Zip gave me, I headed out into the garden. The grass was slightly unkept but I paid it little attention as I headed on the trail into the woods. It was covered in moss and I had to dip and swerve around bratches and various plants as I went deeper in, following the overground trail. Not a minute had gone before it brought me to an opening onto a small lake, hidden amongst the trees. It was beautifully still, in a slight hollow, protected by the trees. I sat near its' bank, just relaxing and watching the water. I wasn't long there when I heard from behind me, "You'll be the death of me, heading off without me. I've told you already."
I didn't turn away from the water as I responded, "I can practically still see the house. Anyways, I'm assuming you wouldn't bring me somewhere anyone knows is connected to the club so I doubt I'll be grabbed here.". He didn't reply straight away so I counted that as a point in my favour.
"Come back soon, I'll give you half an hour." he said and I laughed slightly.
"So generous, thanks Zip. You're the best." I said overly happy. I didn't get a reply.