Ten

Baz

He's not breaking up with me?

"I don't want to risk that happening again, Baz."

He's not breaking up with me.

"Baz?"

Simon's wanting to stay alive. And he doesn't want me gone.

"Baz, please say something."

I love you so much.

"No no, love!" I shout, and it even surprises me. I stand up (not from the shout, but the enthusiasm having sudden control of my limbs). "You don't have to do anything you don't want to. I'll call Fiona and she'll let you stay at the mansion." I can feel my legs making me pace because I need to get this joyrush out of my body. "Nicodemus wouldn't even go near that place if he wanted to. Even if he did, I'd guard that place with my life whether or not you broke up with me. No one will hurt you if I'm there, I swear by all of Magick."

"What?" Simon's brows quirk at me. "Who said I was breaking up with you?"

I'm stood in place, almost feeling stuck to the floor again. "Well, I thought... earlier... when you asked if this was all we were going to have. When you were excited about it all and now you're..."

"No! No, I was talking about fighting everything! All the vampires! I just didn't know if I wanted that anymore."

"I know!" I fall to the bed and take the space next to him. "I know! I get that now!" I'm so relieved. Absolutely ecstatic. Every ounce of dread that's been weighing on me for the past two hours is lifting. I can still feel it going as the realization sets in. The realization that Simon Snow still wants to be my boyfriend. That he was surprised that I thought he wanted to break up with me. Maybe I'm not so terrible.

"What are you thinking?" He's beaming. He's showing his teeth and his shoulders are bouncing as he lets out an airy laugh. How long has it bloody well been since we've been close to feeling this euphoric?

"I just," I look down. My hands feel like I was sitting on them too long and pins and needles are coursing through them. I didn't even realize they were holding his. "I agree with everything you're saying," I say. Simon's staying alive. It's a matter of fact. I dare any vampire, any creature to stop that from being possible. I dare Lamb to hold me back again from trying to reach him, from holding him. I'd tear his limbs off with my teeth for dramatic effect. He doesn't matter compared to Simon.

Believe me, Simon Snow. Only you matter to me.

Simon

The fullness in my heart is overwhelming. I could shoot through all these floors and not feel a thing from it. This was the best possible outcome I could've asked for. Baz keeps looking up at me and I can read him now (even without the massive context clues of this conversation). He loves me.

"I'm so glad this is what you want." He tells me. He puts a palm to my face. His coolness soothes my skin. "You were the Chosen One. You gave up everything to save us all, to save the World of Mages. You made what we all thought was the ultimate sacrifice, Simon. Then we came to America."

"Baz..." I almost ask him where he's going with this. His expression changes slightly and he closes his eyes.

"And I thought you were gone in that desert." His head falls and his widow's peak is against my mouth. I instinctively kiss it, smelling the cedar and bergamot. "Seeing you in the sand, just not moving. When I was trudging up the hill with Lamb as we heard those gunshots that suddenly just stopped... and you were in the sand... and you weren't moving and..."