VI

VI 

            Natalya had not a doubt that every woman in the ball was jealous of her and her husband. They really did make a beautiful pair, even if their relationship wasn’t top notch, with Ivan’s hand curling around her elbow and holding her to him as they made their way towards the dance floor and Natalya’s group of “friends”. She had gotten him to wear a peach colored dress shirt that matched wonderfully with her dress and a black suit, a change from his usual informal khaki, and she was surprised she had gotten him to gel back his hair as well. All in all, she had convinced him with, yes, the aid of pink, and maybe a kiss or two.

            But that wasn’t important. What was important was making sure she got her way, and ignited jealousy and every single lousy fake friend she could muster. And she could tell that her plan was working as her husband stopped in front of a few of her friends and their spouses, the anger in their eyes was enough to make Natalya’s day. She knew her husband was attractive, just like she knew that Millie’s marriage was an unhappy one and Jennifer struggled with an eating disorder.

            Natalya had always been observant. She liked to know what was happening, when, and why, and who was involved with what. There had been multiple times, especially when she was younger, when she had commented on these things. Soon enough, she learned that, even if things were obvious to her, not everything should be said. But she noticed the way the outer side of Millie’s wedding ring was tarnished, or how Jennifer looked tortured every time she took a bite of something that contained more than 100 calories.

            “You two look lovely!” exclaimed Millie, her husband rolling his eyes behind her as she pulled a full, almost comic smile, grinning widely at Natalya and Ivan. Simply smiling softly and looking back up and Ivan, she thanked Millie and led him off again, this time to the dance floor. As Natalya slid her hands onto her husband’s shoulders and they began to sway back and forth in a calm and collected waltz, Natalya laughed before commenting in Russian, “Speaking English feels so odd.”

            “I know, agaf’ya. Such an odd, silly language. Do you still remember any of my language?”

            “Of course, love,” Natalya purred in Ukranian. “How could I ever forget?”

            “Oh, my brilliant little pet,” Ivan chuckled and dipped his wife before pulling her back up and towards the center of the floor where couples parted for the two. As he twirled her gently around his hand, Ivan pulled her back to him, the dance familiar and practiced. In their earlier years, when they were still getting to know one another, the two had danced often and well, one of the only activities they did together. They spent so much time on it that at their first dance, a simple Waltz became a passionate tango that shifted into every partner dance imaginable. These days, they didn’t dance together much. There wasn’t time for such silly, frivolous things, and Natalya and Ivan’s marriage hadn’t been steady or healthy for quiet a time. But when they danced together, it was one of the only times that they truly understood each other, even if it was where to lift Natalya up or when to twirl.

            They began to accumulate quite the crowd, a large circle in the middle of the dance floor, all couples staring at the two as they shimmered around the hard wood area. All couples were wondering how a marriage could still be that intact, how two people could still be so in sync, still look as if they were on the brink of their wedding night. As the crowd watched in awe and the last string of the violin was played, they all erupted into applause, hooting and hollering as the two made their way back to the refreshments, pushing through their newfound fans.