Chapter 4

We decided to take a cab to Virginia beach which was 1h 50m. On the way to Virginia Beach, we decided to walk along the beach and look at sea shells when we got there. We talked about our past, and what we hoped to accomplish in the future.

"I want to be an author one day." Mel said. "I want to write a book that encourages people to look beyond their circumstances, and look for people to help. You never know how much helping a person impacts each other's life." Said Mel again.

"I want to be a carpenter and make stuff out of wood." Cody said.

We arrived at Virginia Beach. The weather was perfect. It wasn't too hot. We walked along the beach for awhile. Then I saw something shining, with the sunlight shining off of the object. I bent down to pick it up. It was a beautiful, broken sea shell. It was pink and purple and green tints in the shell. I kept looking and found more. It seemed like there was thousands and thousands of shells. I found as many as I wanted. I took ten shells of varying beauty.

"What's that you got, Mel?" Cody asked curiously.

"Shells!" Mel said excitedly.

"But they're broken, Mel. They're not worth anything!" Cody said.

"The shells may look broken, but in each shell there is beauty in every shell. Like in every person, you can't judge a person by what you see on the outside, but there's beauty in the heart of each person. It may take awhile to see it, but there is beauty in everyone. You can't judge a person until you get to know them."

"Wow, that's powerful stuff Mel." Cody said amazed.

"Yes it is, Cody." Mel replied. "You never told me what mental illness you have Cody."

"Oh, I have schizophrenia." Cody said nervously. "I went to Athens two years ago when I tried to kill myself. I heard voices telling me to kill myself. They said to kill myself by slitting my throat. That's when my mom saw me and called the ambulance." Cody replied.

"Oh, ok Cody." Said Mel.

We stared into each other's eyes for a minute, then we hugged each other and I leaned on Cody's shoulder. We were sitting on the beach staring into the sunrise. It was so beautiful. Reds and oranges and yellows. I thought, I want to spend the rest of my life with Cody. Looking at the sunrises and sunsets together sounded so peaceful, and romantic.