THE RULE OF LAW

The Rule of Law

'Remember my friends, God is dead. Marx is also dead. But the market lives. The market must become your new God' . Rick Mayall, The new statesman, 1987

Meanwhile in a private London Hospital.

The British prime minister and self-seeking sociopath Richard de Whitebread MP was briefing members of the cabinet who were gathered around his hospital bed. He was also being guarded at all times by officers from the specialist protection command (SO1) who's team had orders not to leave the PM's side for anything! And with at least 20 members of thecabinet present and half a dozen heavily armed Police officers it was standing room only! The doctor's prescription for the PM hadn't improved his mood, however it had definitely affected his'constitution' and the officers of the specialist protection command were already drawing straws for bathroom duty.

This special meeting of the cabinet had been called to discuss the current crisis with the Witches. There was every indication that the 'freak' bolt of lightning that had struck the PM in the garden of no.10 hadn't really been an 'accident' after all. Lightning in July is rare, and rarer still when there's not a single cloud to be seen anywhere. The high pitched cackling laughter was pretty unusual too. The PM was furious and turned on the Justice secretary

"Listen Howard, these bloody people need to be stopped !"

The Justice Secretary looked at the rest of the cabinet for reassurance. Unfortunately for Howard Percival-Hunt, his fellow ministers had lost their spine along time ago. He attempted a come-back in his most sincere voice

"Dicky I hear what you're saying but..."

"Don't you 'Dicky' me, you bell end!" snapped the PM as he pulled himself up on his bed. "This is all your bloody fault in the first place!"

The other members of the cabinet, tried to distance themselves from their colleague whoonce again attempted a comeback

"Dicky I can assure you as..."

However before the Justice secretary could finish his sentence he was dealt a firm slap to the side of the head by the chief of Police.

"Splendid!"relished the PM and gave the chief of Police a high five. The chief of Police beamed with pride.

It had been a few days since the 'incident' in the garden. The media had been extensively briefed that it had been a simple 'accident', just a 'seasonal anomaly' and there was nothing more to worry about. Those in the cabinet knew different, they knew this was far more serious. There were rumors that further threats had been made against the PM as well as other members of the establishment.

The PM regained his composure and turned to the cabinet members gathered at the foot of his bed

"Let's start again shall we?" he said and smiled broadly. "I understand it's been a challenging time for all of us recently, and that we are facing a crisis which seeks to undermine the very heart of our democracy"

He paused, just long enough for his script writer to change cards.

"...for generations we have lived in a god fearing country, and stood firm against every foe who has dared challenge our..."

The PM waited impatiently as the script writer fumbled the cards.

"Our right to rule!"interjected the Bishop of Westminster.

"Thank you Larry"said the PM and added "Yes, the very rule of law is under threat,and without law what do we have?..." and he jabbed a finger at the abused Justice secretary who was still holding his face.

"Chaos?" replied the Justice secretary with a nervous flinch.

"Yes, correct!"There was an audible sigh of relief around the room. The Chief o fPolice gave the Justice secretary an approving wink, the Justice secretary mopped his brow. It had been a trying day.

Just then there was a knock at the door and two intelligence officers wheeled in an ancient VHS video recorder and television. The curtains in the room were closed and the lights dimmed. Once everything was ready the PM addressed the cabinet

"Yesterday we received a video recording..." and he gave a nod towards one of the intelligence officers who pressed a large button on the ancient video recorder.

As the TV crackled and flickered into life, a hooded figure appeared on the screen.

They watched as the mysterious figure slowly lowered its hood. Much to everyone's surprise it was a woman, perhaps in her early fifties. Her white hair was cropped short giving her the cool appearance of a retired media director. And she had an air of confidence that suggested she was someone who was used to dealing with people. The Bishop of Westminster raised an eyebrow! The others in the room seemed surprised and a little relieved.

However their relief was short lived. As she began to talk the sound was deafening,instinctively everyone covered their ears.

"CAN WE TURN IT DOWN?" shouted one of the ministers.

"WE'VE ALREADY TRIED THAT !" roared the PM with a pillow over his ears.

The booming voice reverberated through them!

"WES HAL*!" said the figure on the screen introducing herself.

"MY NAME IS WHITE DRAGON, I HAVE A MESSAGE TO DELIVER, A WARNING.  YOU HAVE ALREADY WITNESSED THE POWER THAT WE HAVE AT OUR CONTROL. SHOULD YOU CONTINUE TO PURSUE YOUR CURRENT COURSE OF ACTIONS, THEN UNDERSTAND THAT WE WILL RETALIATE WITH EVERY MEANS AT OUR DISPOSAL"

To everyone's relief the video ended. The message of course was a not so subtle hint towards the Prime ministers recent 'accident'.

The culture secretary was the first to speak

"You know, it's been years since i saw a VHS video". There was a loud slap.

*'Wes hal'  an ancient Saxon greeting.