Chapter 3: Doggy Beds and Laughter

We drove home with Scarlett since she had walked here from her house and the drive was mostly quiet.

Chris held Scarlett's hand the whole way back and I sat in Scarlett's lap as she petted me. Her eyes were sad and lonely, and she kind of had a depressing look on her face.

A few tears would occasionally fall down her cheeks, but she never sobbed or broke down. Her face was sad, and it was tinged with a bit of anger and fear.

Humans are able to communicate with each other with emotions and facial expressions. 

Dogs, not so much. I must admit: sometimes I get jealous of humans.

I mean we can kind of make different faces, but not nearly as many as humans do. 

Most of the time I just look like I'm smiling and happy. Fortunately, most of the time, I am. 

When we arrived back at our house, Chris unlocked the door and we went inside. I immediately ran to my spot on the couch. Scarlett followed me and she sat by me on the couch and cuddled with me.

I like Scarlett's hugs more that Chris's. 

Don't tell him I said that. He would get mad at me.

Anyways, Chris sat down next to Scarlett and she turned towards him.

"Are you okay, Scarlett?" Chris asked, softly. His eyes were gentle and caring, as he looked at her softly.

"I mean I guess." Scarlett replied. She leaned her head on Chris's shoulder. "For some reason a part of me feels like I didn't really love him. I mean our relationship wasn't very far along, and Collin had kind of stopped giving me his time or attention."

I leaned into Scarlett to comfort her. She gladly accepted it and began petting me.

Chris wrapped his arms around her and hugged her. Scarlett reciprocated the action and hugged him back. I could sense their love for each other in that hug.

"I just want to make sure that you're okay, Scar." Chris said, quietly. He almost whispered it. "I'm gonna make us some dinner, so you and Dodger can just relax." 

 Scarlett smiled at him and replied, "Thanks, Chris. You know you don't have to take care of me."

"I know, but I want to. I just want to make sure that you are properly taken care of." Chris said, a little quietly. He was blushing a bit too. 

"Aww, why do you have to be so sweet and cute?" Scarlett asked. That made Chris blush even more.

C'mon Chris, I thought to myself. You gotta play it cooler than that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night Scarlett slept in the guest bedroom. Chris had insisted that she stay the night, so she did. She had gone home and packed a small backpack with some clothes and toiletries and then came back.

I usually sleep in my doggy bed that is in Chris's room. I dragged my bed from Chris's room to the guest room tonight, though. 

I guess since I'm Chris's dog, I have the duty to help protect Scarlett now. 

When she saw me bringing my doggy bed into the guest room she said, "Awww! Dodger you're so cute! Come here buddy!" She held out her hands and knelt down on the ground.

I ran towards her and started to lick her face which made her laugh. She rubbed my back as I continued to lick her.

Chris heard her laughing and came into the room.

"Hey, why wasn't I invited to this party?" Chris said, sitting down next to Scarlett.

 I began to lick him too. The two of them were both laughing and smiling now.

I finally just laid down in Scarlett's lap since I was getting tired too.

"Are you going to be okay sleeping in here? I mean you can sleep in my bed. It's more comfortable." Chris said to Scarlett. She nodded and smiled at him.

"I feel bad about it. You should sleep in my room." Chris said. Wow, he really cares about her, I thought. He doesn't even let me sleep on his bed.

"Chris! I already said I'm fine!" Scarlett said, placing her hand on his shoulder. He grabbed her hand and held it, rubbing it softly with his thumb.

"You are sleeping in my room and that's final." Chris said.

"Fine. But you're sleeping with me." Scarlett said. Chris smiled and nodded. 

I followed behind them, dragging my doggy bed along and back to Chris's room.

Scarlett laid her head on Chris's chest and his arms were around her waist. I jumped on the bed to lay with them, but Chris wouldn't let me.

"Dodger, get off the bed!" Chris said. I jumped off the bed and laid down in my own doggy bed.

I'll let Chris and Scarlett have their intimate moment together.