Chapter 7

A/N: I would like to apologise in advance for posting such a depressing Christmas chapter. To make up for it, I have also posted a very fluffy little Christmas story starring MC and Merula Snyde, with an epilogue that features Felix and ties in with this story (chronologically, it takes place toward the beginning of this chapter). So if you're choking on angst by the end of this, please go cheer yourself up.
I'd also like to warn that this chapter makes references to child neglect and unhappy home life in general, in case those are triggers for anyone.

Summary:
"I think you need to consider that your parents might not have your best interests at heart. Parents are just people too. They make mistakes and they can do the wrong thing."
"How would you know? You barely have parents."
"That's exactly how I know."

Felix Rosier is a little taken aback to discover how beautiful Hogwarts is at Christmas time. It's not as if the castle is ever dank or gloomy, but now its halls are practically alive with good cheer. Holly, ivy, and greenery of every kind are wound around banisters and hung on doors. Fantastically decorated Christmas trees are stuffed into all the empty corners. Even the Slytherin common room, infamous for being somber and gloomy, seems transported by the softly glowing garlands and the cozy stockings hung by the fire.

Felix takes in the sight for the first time as he walks through the entrance wall after ensuring all the students from his house returning home for the holidays have made it safely to the train. While Felix has never stayed before, Slytherin house usually sees the largest number of students at school over the Christmas year's slew of boggart attacks, however, has frightened nearly all the winter regulars into seeking shelter elsewhere. Even Merula Snyde has gone with her new best friends, Ismelda Murk and Barnaby Lee, to Ismelda's house, leaving Juniper Windsong the only Slytherin student to remain. Besides Felix himself.

"What are you doing here?" Juniper asks in shock, jumping up from her spot in front of the fire as Felix enters. Her rapid movement disturbs the loose pile of papers and parchments she's been pouring over. She's still holding a quill loosely in one hand, and has the air of someone who has been interrupted in the middle of doing something they shouldn't.

Felix narrows his eyes at her. "You mean, in my own common room?"

"No, I mean here. At school. At all. You never stay for the holidays."

Felix leans casually on the back of the sofa, surreptitiously eyeing the bits of parchment littering the floor.

"You've been here two and half years, Windsong. That hardly makes you an authority on what I never do."

Juniper shoots him her lopsided smile. "Okay." she concedes, "I mean, I've never seen you stay over the holidays before."

"Of course not. I never stay over the holidays." Felix deadpans as he walks around the arm of the sofa to sit down.

Juniper throws her quill at him.

"Careful," Felix warns her, smirking, "I can still dock points, even at Christmas."

She ignores him and resumes her seat on the floor in front of her parchment and papers, hiding them from view. Felix wonders if this is deliberate.

"So why are you staying this year?" Juniper asks, stretching her legs out in front of her.

"Well," Felix draws the word out a bit, debating how to answer. "The dragon, of course. I don't like the idea of you visiting him alone. It's too dangerous."

Juniper lowers her eyebrows at him, suspiciously. "Really?"

"You've seen the way he looks at us now." Felix says, leaning slightly onto the arm of the sofa to try to see around her without tipping her off. "And on your own, you're just reckless enough to go back down in there with him."