Chapter 1

"Hopekit! Come play with us!" Hopekit sighed and rose to his paws. He was a little wobbly at first because of his missing paw, but he soon got the hang of it. He limped outside. Demanding Foxkit had been the one calling him. Her brother, Streamkit bounded over to him. "Do you WANT to play?" he asked, emphasizing the WANT. Foxkit rolled her eyes. "Hes a kit. Of course, he wants to play," she said. Streamkit retorted, "Hes almost six moons old. In fact, we all are." "So?" "So, were not exactly kits anymore. Plus, he has free will. Its up to him whether or not to play with us." Streamkit turned to Hopekit. "Do you want to play with us?" Hopekit hesitated, then nodded. He scrambled after the kits, before being stopped by a cat grabbing him by the scruff. "You cant play with the normal kits," they said. Hopekit glared up at them. It was Flowerpeak. He supposed he should be more grateful to her, since she was the deputy and had saved him, but she had done nothing but restrict him ever since he arrived in Thunderclan. Flowerpeak set him down gently near the nursery entrance. Hopekit glared at her as she walked away, then bounded back to the other kits. The three kits played for a while, before Snowstar called, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the Highledge for a clan meeting!" Hopekit bounded over, stumbling a bit as he approached. He heard a snort from a warrior nearby, but he ignored them. "Foxkit, step forward," ordered Snowstar. Foxkit did, quivering. "Foxkit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Foxpaw. Petalflame, you have proven yourself to be thoughtful and strong, and I hope you will pass those qualities on to Foxpaw." Snowstar had barely finished speaking when Foxpaw trotted over to her mentor and touched noses with her. "Streamkit, step forward. Streamkit, from this day until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Streampaw. Bramblesun, you have proven yourself to be brave and loyal, and I hope you will pass those qualities on to Streampaw." Streampaw bounded over to his new mentor and touched noses with her. "Hopekit, step forward." As Hopekit did so, he thought he saw something like contempt in flash Snowstars gaze. "Hopekit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Hopepaw. Hareshadow, you have proven yourself to be loyal and wise, and I hope you will pass those qualities in to Hopepaw." Hopepaw padded over to Hareshadow, and touched noses with him. He was slightly crestfallen that he wouldnt be a warrior, but happy nonetheless. "I'll do my best," he whispered to Hareshadow. "Me too," replied the black and white striped she-cat. Streampaw bounded over to Hopepaw. "Isn't it great?" Streampaw asked. "We're apprentices now!" He saw the look on Hopepaws face and guessed what was bothering Hopepaw. "It sucks that you won't be a warrior though," he said sympathetically. Hopepaw nodded. "But being a medicine cat will be fun!" Hopepaw said excitedly. Streampaw smiled too. The two apprentices headed to the apprentices den, chatting like a pair of birds.