Victory Comes With a Cost

I revamped this chapter with two different endings. The first is the good ending and the second is the bad (the part that was added). I, personally, think the second is more accurate and it's also longer than the first but I didn't want to delete my hard work paragraphs. So enjoy the new addition.

          Charlie played with the loose ends of Alastor's coat, her thoughts swimming. She was laying on his chest listening to his odd heartbeat and his steady breathing. Her own heart was beating a mile a minute, unable to stop thinking about what tomorrow would bring. She stopped moving, giving in fully to her doubts and fears. 

          Alastor noticed the change instantly. He pulled her closers and ran a clawed hand gently through her hair. "Everything will be alright my dear. The suspense will soon be over," he said matter-of-factly. "But that's what I'm afraid of Al. We've helped so many demons into heaven but it's not enough. T-There's still going to be a-an extermination and I-" she broke off into sobs, wrapping her arms around Alastor's thin middle. 

          "Sshh don't cry. The tears will stain your beautiful face... Darling," Alastor sighed. He knew that the hotel would fail to get enough demons up into heaven before the next extermination but he was surprised that they'd got as many as they had. The destruction and kill count would not be as extravagant as the last one but Charlie was taking it hard nonetheless. 

          Alastor placed a kiss on his sweet Charlie's forehead in a last-ditch effort to get her to stop crying. It worked to an extent and she reduced to a few hiccups. "What are we going to do?" Charlie asked not expecting an answer. 

"We could fight."

          Charlie looked up at Alastor, eyes wide with shock. "Think about it, my dear. I've seen you in your demonic form and the power that you hold. You and me fighting side by side, what a show that would be!" Alastor explained. His smile no longer held warmness and it became something darker. He pictured the carnage spread out before him but didn't get far with the thought. 

          Charlie pushed herself off of him, sitting on the other side of the couch. Alastor was tempted to pull her back into his embrace but stopped himself short when Charlie spoke. "No," she said. "No, I don't want to fight Alastor. The whole point is to resolve problems peacefully and even if I did want to fight them. There's no way I could, even with your help," she said rubbing her arm. 

          She had started rubbing it when she said "resolve problems peacefully" and this wasn't a fact that Alastor missed. He firmly but gently grabbed her arm. Charlie tried to pull her arm away but Alastor grab was relentless.  He rolled up the sleeve to reveal a long jagged scar running from the top of her shoulder to her elbow and that was only what he could see. 

          The static emanating from Alastor increased as fury slowing started to consume him. Charlie flinched slightly as Also dragged a finger down the path of the scar. "Who did this to you?" Alastor growled. Charlie wasn't afraid of Alastor in any form and put a hand on his cheek. It didn't stop his rage completely but enough for him to at least think straight. They stared into each other's eyes as Charlie explained the scar. 

          "A long time ago, before you came to Hell. My father had somehow arranged a meeting with the angels to talk about the exterminations. I had to attend the meeting because I was the princess of Hell and needless to say the meeting... didn't go so well." Alastor leaned into her touch, not breaking eye contact, silently telling her to continue. 

          She took a deep breath, knowing the next part was going to agitate him. "A fight broke out after they couldn't come to an agreement. I fought back because I was scared. They were too strong though. Before they retreated to heaven one managed to land a hit on me with one of their special weapons. I survived obviously but the scar... it's something I'm just going to have to live with."