Rosebushes

There wasn't a lot to know about Frank Iero. He was only 18 but often felt like his parents would baby him. They dragged the poor teen along with them wherever their job took them. Today, four years after their move from New Jersey, that place was New Mexico.

"How 'bout this move, huh, Frankie?" Linda Iero attempted to make small talk with the boy. "Straight from New Jersey to New Mexico."

Frank rolled his eyes internally, but to acknowledge the fact that his mother was at least trying for him, he smiled slightly.

"Yeah," Frank attempted to appease the awkward silence. "Pretty cool."

Frank knew she was trying to lighten the situation, but everything was extremely dull. They spent their summer packing up to move, cleaning every crack and cabinet in the house, and meeting with superiors about what it meant to be part of "the ARC ministry."

Yeah, okay.

While Frank's parents spoke excitedly about how much nicer their new bosses were, Frank was finishing his current episode of House, M.D. in the back of the van.

He must have lost track of time because before he knew what was happening, the car was parked in an unfamiliar driveway.

There was a large, two-door garage contrasting against the sidewalk. The path leading up to the large doorway was framed by three red rosebushes and two yellow, with a small apple tree. The house was nice, there was no question, and Frank wasn't going to lie, he was ecstatic.

"We're here, Frankie!" Mrs. Iero remarked as the young man opened his door and stepped out.

"This place is-" Mr. Iero started, but was cut off quickly by Frank.

"So much better," Frank remarked, smiling at the large apple tree shadowing the front lawn. "We have roses."

Mrs. Iero nodded and bent down to one of the yellow rose bushes by the porch, breathing in the candy-like scent.

"Let's put our stuff down inside," Mr. Iero tapped his wife's shoulder. "We've got to get to the ARC soon. The Toros are waiting for us over lunch."

"Those are your new bosses, I'm guessing," Frank rested his hands in his pockets, nervous at the thought of having to meet them. His stomach churned violently.

Mrs. Iero just nodded, "Alright, enough fun, for now. Pile back in the car."

Mr. Iero sighed and opened the passenger door for his wife, grumbling as he climbed into the driver's seat again.

"Do I have to go?" Frank practically whined, feeling stupid that he was so nervous. "I could stay here and unpack."

"I know you're nervous, Frankie," Mrs. Iero turned to Frank, who was currently clamoring into the backseat. "But I think it'd be good for you to meet some of the beneficiaries- they're the people that are in the program."

Frank tried to smile and nod, but he assumed that his expression was sour by the way Mrs. Iero sighed disapprovingly. The ride continued quietly from then on. To be fair, Frank's mother had a point. He never seemed to bond with the people at his school and it would be better for him to meet the people he would be attending church with for the next 4 years or so.

So, Frank stayed quiet through the drive, because he owed his other that.