The Toros

The building was nothing to look at, especially in comparison to the house. The walls were made of bricks, only painted by age, grayed and cracked, barely holding up the rust-covered roof. Frank hopped out of the car and yes, straight into a puddle.

The boy cringed at the feeling of most soles but quickly put a fake smile back on his face when a woman came from the front doors, sporting open arms and a genuine smile. Mr. and Mrs. Iero opened their doors and got out, muttering pleasantries and hugging the woman.

Frank stood by awkwardly, putting his hands back in his pockets. His eyes snapped over to the red doors when they opened again, a man with dark hair and a kid about his age walking out. The kid was tall-ish (definitely taller than Frank, which made Frank self-consciously straighten his back) and had fluffy, curly hair. He was biting his lip and slouching in pursuit of his father, who was going in for a handshake with Mr. Iero.

So, these were the Toros...

Frank silently took note of the teenage son's frizzy hair and lanky figure. The boy looked back at him and waved slightly, turning away quickly again.

"Let's have some lunch," The voice of Mrs. Toro snapped Frank from his mind. "I'm starving."

Mr. Toro made an approving noise and followed the woman inside, Frank's parents close behind. Frank and the other boy trailed behind a bit.

"I like your hair," Frank was barely able to look at the fluffy-haired kid. "I'm Frank."

"Ray," The boy responded. "Thanks... I like yours better. My parents would never let me do that."

Frank's hair was considerably more wild compared to the style of Ray's. It was dyed black, with shaved sides that were dyed dark red. Frank smiled and looked at the other boy, who seemed to be analyzing Frank. It scared him a bit, causing him to look away and shove his hands deeper into his pockets.

The doors had to be buzzed open by a guy sitting at the front desk, which Frank only realized after he tried to pull it. Then push it. Then he looked at Ray as if he was missing something and the other just laughed as the buzzer sounded. It was, in fact, a pull door.

"Well, I'm an idiot," Frank laughed, pretending not to shrivel up in embarrassment from the inside out.

"Aren't we all?" Ray remarked quietly, catching up with his parents as they walked to the dining room over a slow conversation. Frank stayed behind to look at everything.

There was a man at the front desk, who smiled at Frank as he passed by. Everyone seemed to be much more lively than the building itself was. Frank thought that odd for a rehab center. 

"Here's the cafeteria," Mr. Toro stated bluntly, gesturing to the tables lined up through the large room. A few men were sitting down, eating, who waved and welcomed the group of obvious outsiders.

"Have a seat," Mrs. Toro pulled out a seat for Frank, who sat down.

"Thank you," Frank smiled genuinely for the first time.

"He speaks!" Mr. Toro laughed jovially. "Good to finally hear you. What was your name, again?"

"Frank," The aforementioned teenager muttered, fiddling with his fingers under the table.

A large, burly man suddenly appeared at the table, setting down two plates of food for the Toros. 

"Thank you, George," Mrs. Iero smiled pleasantly. She was good at that.

The man nodded happily and brought two more plates, setting them in front of the Ieros. Another conversation started as Frank zoned out, plates being placed in front of himself and Ray. Mrs. Toro quickly took hold of most of the speaking, discussing that George was selectively mute and he worked in the kitchen as Chef's righthand cook.

Frank didn't even pretend to be invested in what the woman was talking about, he familiarized himself with the patterns on the ceiling-

Holy mother of god, who is that?