two

the figure stood before taylor. her hands were shaking. her throat was dry. fight or flight instincts were kicking in. she felt like she was going to have a panic attack. the person in front of her spun around. it felt like everything was going in slow motion.

in a black blazer, the deceivingly gorgeous karlie kloss faced taylor. she wore black trousers to match. dangling from her neck, a diamond necklace in the shape of a cross caught the light. karlie's hair was down and her lips were painted scarlet red. their eyes met and taylor's breath hitched: just as she remembered. the younger woman looked down and saw that the billionaire was holding their- her daughter in her arms.

with whatever courage taylor had, she spoke softly and diligently, "what are you doing here?"

"hush, our daughter is sleeping," she replied. alina was sound asleep in karlie's arms. usually, alina only let abigail or taylor hold her but in this case, no fuss came from the little baby in karlie's arms.

"please, if you're here for money... or-or, i don't know. just least leave alina alone," taylor begged. her palms were sweaty now and she could feel her vision becoming blurry with hot tears.

"mm, is that her name? fitting," karlie set down alina in her crib, running her fingertips along the side of her cheek before turning to taylor.

"you know, taylor... i'm impressed. you managed to get away so easily. it took me a long time to even find out where you went. hired a private investigator and everything. i commend you on that. what you forgot was to take out though, was the trash. left your pregnancy test"

"i was shocked to say the least. you were already gone. we could've been a family. you didn't even give me the chance to meet our daughter" she looked at taylor with an emotion that was unreadable, "it wasn't until a week ago my investigator tracked your whereabouts at a grocery store. your new job i presume? i learned you lived here with your friend... what's her name? abigail? found out that you left a spare key under your mat. so easy, taylor. all i needed to do was come in during your friend's shift, get the key, and slip in."

karlie approached taylor. the younger girl backed out into their hallway, her back pressed against the wall.

"nice t-shirt, by the way" karlie said, smirking. she crept up to her, placing a hand above the wall from which taylor was standing. she leaned down, her lips brushing taylor's ear, "still looks good on you after all these years"

warm tears blurred taylor's vision. her phone was in the kitchen, way out of reach and abigail wasn't coming home until early morning.

karlie wiped taylor's tears and pouted, "what's wrong, princess? you brought this upon yourself. you left me"

"w-what do you want, karlie?" taylor asked, not making eye contact.

"i just want to... talk" karlie said, an odd smile creeping on her face.

"you're fucking crazy," taylor muttered. "i'm not going anywhere. i will protect alina at all costs. you abused me. you hit and hurt me, karlie. i ran away because... because i knew alina needed a better life. she needed loving parents. our love was toxic. you will never be a good mother. not unless you can prove me other wise," taylor stammered. she continued, "we were happy. but, you isolated me. look at you right now. you broke into my home and now you're threatening me. i have a life now, karlie!"

she shuddered. karlie backed away slowly. an eyebrow raised. she had a hard, unreadable expression on her face.

"oh, for fucks sake taylor. i'm the one who hurt you? you left me alone. no explanation. nothing. and you had our daughter behind my back. i know the drinking thing was out of hand but i've changed. we could've been a family. and, what life? you live in this shitty apartment and i know all you do is work nonstop!," karlie stated. her right hand was in a fist, a thing that karlie did when she was frustrated.

"no-" taylor begin. karlie interrupted.

"i want to be apart of alina's life. i-i don't need you. i have a girlfriend now, anyways. i can financially support you guys. i just want to be apart of her life. you know how my parents were never really in the picture. i don't want alina growing up thinking i never wanted to be there for her" karlie finished.

taylor stood there, contemplating. thick silence hung between them. she wasn't the most financially stable and karlie could really help cover those expenses. she shifted her eyes to the crack in the ceiling that abigail nor her could afford to fix. a cup sat below it to catch water during rainy days. her eyes fell upon the sparse decoration since most of taylor's paycheck went to food, alina's things, and rent. but, what if she hurt alina? what if she took her away forever? she didn't want karlie in her life anymore. she worked so hard to move past that scary chapter of her life. taylor sighed, a knot in her throat forming. deep down she knew. she was trapped. refusing would only be redundant. karlie will never stop.

"one day. tomorrow night. you can watch alina. i'll-i'll work overtime while abigail's at work so you... you can babysit her" taylor offered.

"before you say this is a trap or whatever, i'll give you my number. i'll also pack a bag with everything you'll need. you can text me your address. i'll be there tomorrow at eight o'clock" she added.

karlie nodded solemnly. she handed taylor her phone. it was the newest one from apple. taylor still used the phone karlie gave her. she shook her head and shakily entered her number and gave the phone back to karlie.

"no need for me to give you my address. i'll just send my driver to your place at seven thirty. but... this better not be another one of your tricks," karlie added bitterly. taylor nodded, feeling that familiar fear she had when they were still in a relationship. 

"the door's that way," taylor said, pointing to her right.

"let me say goodbye first," karlie replied. she walked over and leaned into alina's crib. a smile worked upon karlie's face as she tucked the baby in. she kissed alina's forehead softly. she then straightened her back, nodding her head at taylor and briskly shut the door behind her.

"until tomorrow, taylor"

taylor stared at the door for a long time. shaking, she walked over to alina. she then curled up into the walking chair next to the crib, closing her eyes.