Chapter Seventeen

Ivan and Kristoff materialized in the lower dungeon; the musty smell greeted their nostrils. A single torch attached to the wall gave off light, its flames created shadows that danced on the vampire's face, heightening his controlled but sinister expression.

Ivan, however, did not feel threatened or alarmed by Kristoff's anger. He was used to the vampire's temperaments.

"Since I'm in a magnanimous mood, elf, I'll let you choose: a broken nose or a dislocated jaw? Your pick," Kristoff said between gritted teeth.

Ivan merely sneered. "I never knew you place so much devotion over a female sister you hardly know."

Kristoff glared at him menacingly. "Was that death wish I hear? You just earned your execution."

"I did not ask you to be here to engage in a fight with you, Kristoff," Ivan answered. "I want to talk to you about Anastasia's safety." When Kristoff did not respond, Ivan added, "I think the princess' life is in jeopardy. I think someone's trying to kill her."

He observed Kristoff for any reaction. He noticed the vampire's jaw clenched, and in a flash, Kristoff appeared before him, and the vampire's incredible speed had caught Ivan unprepared as a fist thrust into his middle causing him to stagger backward.

Kristoff's eyes gleamed black, ready to commit murder. "My sister's life is in danger because you refused for her to be with her family. And given the fact that your race hated us, vampires, she wasn't safe in staying here from the beginning!"

Ivan returned the favor by delivering a nasty blow by letting his knuckle penetrate Kristoff's left jaw. He heard the vampire's jawbone crack. "Given the fact that your mother hid Anastasia from your lot, she wasn't exactly safe with the vampires either."

Kristoff straightened his dislocated jaw by slightly twisting it and snapping it back into place with his hands. He slightly cocked his head to the side and said, "Good point." He leaned back on the wall and crossed his arms. "So go on. Explain to me your theory about this conspiracy against my sister."

"Two days ago, Anastasia's elf servant informed me that she found elcorii mushrooms in your sister's supper."

Kristoff raised a brow. "And I should be alarmed of a mushroom because?"

"Because elcorii mushrooms are poisonous mushrooms. The lady's maid told me the tray of food she saw in Anastasia's room was not the one she had the cook prepared."

"Then someone in your household poses a threat to my sister. I will take her with me back to Sanggre where she will be safe."

"Don't you see, Kristoff? Anastasia isn't safe here or in Sanggre. I had all the servants interrogated, from the lowly scullery maid to the head castle steward. We found no answers as to who tried to poison the princess."

Kristoff stood straight. "Does Anastasia know about this?"

Ivan shook his head. "No. It was a good thing the elf servant kept what she discovered a secret from Anastasia, hid the food, and replaced it anew. Since that night, I had ordered for the maid to be the one to personally prepare the princess' meal." He narrowed his gaze at Kristoff. "And now the incident this morning happened. It was as if the perpetrator had an idea that Anastasia's transition would happen that morning. And I think the killer wanted Anastasia dead before she passes her transition."

"Any suspect?"

"Yes. Her vampire lady's maid."

Kristoff hissed angrily. "You dare put the blame on my race? The culprit could be the elf lady's maid! She was with Anastasia most of the time."