Chapter 3

After realizing that Helen was not in my German class I bolted out the door of my school and cried the whole way home.
What was I suppose to do without Helen in my class? She was the whole reason I took German.
It was as if Helen was the sun and I was a merely planet revolving around her.
Without her there I had no purpose.
What is a planet without the sun? Nothing more than a lifeless rock floating around an abyss of emptiness.
That's exactly how I felt.
Empty.
When I finally got home, I collapsed on my couch and cried my eyes out.
I pulled out my schedule and looked it over. As I stared at it the tears dripped from my cheeks and fell on the paper below. I had marked every class that I had with Helen with a tiny glitter star.
I had got the stars from my sticker collection. I was saving them for a special occasion, but what is more special then time spent with Helen?
Nothing.
This year I had Geometry, English, Biology, History, and gym with Helen.
But not German.
You may be wondering when having German with Helen is so important to me. Well German class is where it all started...
*flashback*
The cool autumn wind blew my scarf into my face over and over again as I entered the school. The hair of the girls in front of me blew around in their faces and looked really awful by the time they got into the building. But one of the girl's hair looked great even after the wind had blown it around. I listened to the girls talking and found out that her name was Helen.
Helen.
Helen.
Helen.
Helen.
Helen.
I liked the way it sounded.
Hel....
When the school door shut behind me I realized that I had been standing still too long thinking about the sound of her name. I needed to know more about her.
I walked a little faster to catch up why the girls so I could listen to their conversations form behind.
I heard one ask what language Helen was taking this year.
"German" she said with her angelic voice.
I still had not picked a language for this year, but now I had made my mind up.
I was going to take German.
A few hours later, I was walking into my new German class and sat in the back. As usual.
The teacher told us to pick a name out of the hat and tell that person a sentence about yourself to get to know each other better.
A few people with a last name starting with "a" went first and then Helen went, since her last name started with a "b" (as I had learned that day).
She reached in the hat and drew my name!
MY NAME! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! OUT OF ALL THE NAMES SHE COULD HAVE PICKED SHE GOT MINE!
She walked to me and told me about her, I still remember her exact words "Hi! I'm
Helen, I'm 13, and I live in Melrose."
Wow what a woman.
Then reality hit me....
She didn't pick my name she picked the name of some other blonde girl, Tara, and I was just listening to her talk to Tara.
Helen still didn't know who I was, but at least I would get to see her every day in German class, I thought.
*end of flashback*
But that was last year, this year was so different. Helen wasn't in my German class and nothing would be the same again.