chapter 23

The window to my bedroom smashed open pulling me fast out of my sleep. As my eyes adjusted to my bedroom all I saw was orange.

Red.

Flames.

Fire.

Fire was everywhere, surrounding everything. I felt my forehead, I was sweating. I breathed in searching for air but all I got was a tsunami of smoke hit my nostrils. I coughed and gasped, searching for air until I felt my throat starting to clog up.

I rolled out of bed. Heat rises, right? I crawled along the floor, dodging sparks and flames until I reached the door. I tried pulling at the handle but my hand just slid off due to the sweat and perspiration both on my hand and the handle. I pulled and pulled against the handle until I realised it was useless. I was getting no where. I slid down against the door and sobbed, still struggling to breathe. Who was rocketing the flamed rocks through the window anyway? Were we under attack? Maybe it was the revolution. Oh gosh. I started to panic. I was going to die. I was going to die.

A blaze suddenly came soaring towards me. Before I could move, A blast of pain erupted in my leg. I kicked off the flame and looked at my scorched leg.

before anything a secret flame had lit my wings afire. All I could do was scream. And scream. And scream.

Until my wings were only ashes.