12 - Part Of The Team

"Hello, this is Jill Ellis."

"Hello Coach Ellis, this is Casey Nova."

"Ah, Casey! It's so great to hear from you." She exclaimed and I couldn't help but smile. The fact that Jill Ellis, the head coach of the Women's National Team, was happy to talk to me, made me feel important. "I take it you have called to make your decision?" She asked.

"Well, I'd like to ask you some questions first, if that's okay with you?" I asked politely.

"Oh, yes, of course. I didn't mean to rush you into making a decision." She apologized and I brushed it off, assuring her that it was fine.

"Well, as you may know, I actually still have a month and a half left of high school and I wanted to know if it was possible to have access to a computer while I'm at camp." I questioned and then quickly added, "I've already talked to my teachers and they have agreed to email me all of my work if I were to accept." I clarified as she listened patiently.

"I'm sure I can make that happen. I know school always comes first." She paused for a moment and then said, "We actually have a member of the team who is your age as well and she does all of her homework online during training. So, it really shouldn't be a problem." I smiled and sighed in relief. Well, that's one less thing to worry about.

"Thank you." I said honestly.

"Of course. Now, is there anything else you need to know?" She questioned and I wracked my brain, trying to think of everything I needed to know before making my final decision.

"No ma'am, I think that is everything." I told her finally.

"So, what have you decided?" She asked, her voice laced with anticipation.

I closed my eyes for a moment and thought about my decision. On one hand, I couldn't leave my sister behind and I had to keep up with my grades. On the other hand, this was the opportunity of a lifetime and I couldn't miss out. I knew my sister would, most likely, be fine on her own and that, if I worked hard enough, I could keep up with my school work while at camp.

Finally, I made up my mind, praying to any higher power that I was making the right decision. "Okay... I accept." I stated, as confidently as I could.

I could tell she was smiling as she said, "Great! I'm so glad that you have chosen to join us." She stopped to collect herself and said, "I have just sent you your ticket and flight information. You will leave tomorrow evening and arrive to the hotel at night. We will have a quick meeting that night and training will begin the following morning. I can't wait to see you there!" She exclaimed and I smiled back.

"Thank you so much for the opportunity. I will see you tomorrow night!" I said my goodbye and ended the call.

I had to say, I was really starting to get excited for what was coming. Getting to join the National Team was a huge honor, even though I didn't know much about them. I mean, they're the best in the country, if not the world, which means that Coach Ellis believed that I was that good as well. Now, living up to that expectation was going to be the hard part.

However, I had more pressing issues at the moment, like having to tell Riley and Natalie that I got a call up...

-

I called both of my friends and told them that I had big news. Riley agreed to let us come over to her house, since I thought it would be best not to bring them to the home, knowing full well Riley was going to freak out (which would, most likely, entail screaming) when I told her.

So, here I was, sitting on a couch in Riley's bedroom, hands shaking nervously as my two best friends stared at me in anticipation. I wasn't really nervous about how they would react, I knew they would both be ecstatic... I was more nervous about finally saying it out loud and realizing that there's no going back at this point. I was in it for the long run and it was going to be hard and painful, but I knew it would pay off in the end. I just wasn't sure if I was ready. I mean, I'm only 17 years old!

"Well, we're not gonna sit here all day. Out with it!" Riley yelled, pulling me out of my internal battle. I sighed and looked over at Natalie, who gave me a slight nod and an encouraging smile.

Knowing that my best friend was right, I stood from the couch and looked back at them. Taking a deep breath in and out, I closed my eyes and prepared myself. "I got a call up." I said simply and slowly opened my eyes, waiting to see their reaction.

Riley had her jaw on the floor and Natalie looked confused. "What do you mean?" I realized that she didn't know exactly what that meant considering she didn't play soccer.

"It means... I'm going to train with the Women's National Team in L.A." I restated and Natalie's expression now mirrored Riley's.

It was quiet for a moment, both of them just sitting there in disbelief, but the silence was soon ruined by Riley's high pitched scream (told you). She jumped from the couch and into my arms in excitement and I just laughed into her shoulder. Nat soon joined and we were all in a big group hug, yelling and laughing in joy. It was nice seeing how happy my best friends were for me and I was finally starting to get excited.

After a while they calmed down and we all sat on the couch. Riley spoke up first. "This is amazing, Casey! You're gonna be on the National Team!"

"Well, not technically." I said honestly, causing Nat to frown and Riley to give me a look. "I'm just training with them, they could easily decide they don't like me and kick me out." I shrugged like it was nothing. I was trying to be realistic, I didn't think I was good enough, especially considering I was still in high school and, I'm sure, some of these players have been on the team for half their lives.

"Don't be ridiculous, the coach wouldn't just pick up some mediocre player. She thinks you're good enough and you should too." Nat told me confidently and Riley nodded.

"Plus, you do realize the World Cup is only a few months away and it's unheard of to add a player this close to it. The only reason she would invite you to the team is to get you on the World Cup roster." Riley pointed out and my eyes went wide. There's no way... me playing in the World Cup this summer? That's insane!

"You don't really think that..." I questioned, but she quickly interrupted me.

"Yes, I do think that. I mean, it only makes sense. Why else would she call you up? Just to play a few games and then get rid of you until next season? That would be ridiculous." I shook my head, still not believing that I might play in THE World Cup!

"Maybe you shouldn't think too much about it." Nat suggested, probably realizing how much this possibility affected me. "Just focus on what you know now. Go and do your best at that camp and show Jill why she chose you. Just do what you always do and be yourself. You'll be great and they'll have to keep you." She reassured me and I smiled gratefully at her.

"Yeah, once they see what you can do, there's no way they could get rid of you. You're gonna go kick ass, don't even worry about it." Riley added and I laughed.

"I love you guys." I said truthfully and brought them both into a hug.

"We love you too." They replied and I just smiled in content. What would I do without them?

"Oh, speaking of how much you love me..." I looked at them hesitantly after we pulled out of the hug. "Could you guys check in on my little sister every once in a while? I really hate leaving her and, even though she has friends at the house, I'd still just like to be sure that she's okay on her own."

Natalie smiled, "Of course! I could use some more Lizzy time."

"Yeah, same. Maybe I can finally convince her that I'm a better player than you are." Riley suggested with a cocky smirk on her face and I just laughed.

"Remind me... who's the one getting called up here?" I teased and Nat laughed as we watched Riley's smirk turn upside down.

"Ouch, shots fired." She held her chest, pretending to be offended and I just laughed.

"Alright, well, I better go get ready." I sighed as we started to walk out the door. Nat patted me on the back and gave me another smile.

"This is a life changing opportunity. Just live in the moment and soak it all in. You're going to have the time of your life, trust me." She told me and I nodded my head, trying my best to believe what she said.

...I had no idea how right she was.