17 - The Start

This update is for all of you guys who have voted and commented on this book. I know you've been waiting very patiently so thank you so much. Love ya!

Once we walked into the dining area and made ourselves a plate full of food, Pugh led me to the middle of the table and sat down next to me. I watched as the players began sitting down around us and hoped I wouldn't have to talk to one specific person. Simply because I didn't want to embarrass myself any further.

"I'm gonna warn you," Mal said after taking a bite of her chicken, "you're gonna get asked a lot of personal questions." She paused for a moment, allowing me to let her words sink in. So, basically there's no avoiding embarrassment at this point. "They did that with me and all the other rookies before us. It's sort of like a team tradition. Although, you're lucky you didn't get asked in the conference room next to coach. That..." her eyes widened as she stared off into space, "was terrifying." I felt like laughing at her dramatic nature, but somehow I believed her.

I really wasn't looking forward to people digging into my personal life, especially since I didn't feel comfortable sharing most of it. But something about the players I've met so far told me that it was all in good fun and they're actually genuine, caring people. So, I started to make myself relax a little bit and enjoy this moment instead.

Yet, when the exact girl who had made me the most nervous decided to sit directly in front of me, I was no longer relaxed. Alex Morgan. I couldn't help but stare. She was just so captivating yet terrifying at the same time. And when she locked eyes with me, I felt my heart drop. She smirked once again and I knew she was messing with me on purpose. She knew the effect she had on people.

Then, I began to wonder if she was even interested in me or if this was all a game to her. She probably did this with every new rookie who joined the team. I was nothing special. In fact, I was probably just an easy target to her. I was very responsive and blushed anytime she did something flirty. So, I decided that I shouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt. I should try to control my emotions and not let her see how she makes me feel. Although, that was much easier said than done.

Eventually, I was pulled from my thoughts when someone sat down next to me and leaned in. I glanced over as she began talking and realized it was Kelley. "Just so you know, she has a boyfriend... I, on the other hand, do not." She said, not so quietly and winked at me. My cheeks flushed at her straightforward comment and I panicked, not knowing how to respond. She had managed to catch me staring at Alex and flirt with me in the same sentence. It also made me feel a little disappointed when I found out Alex wasn't single. (I swear, straight girls are so misleading.)

Luckily, I didn't have to respond when a thin girl with tan skin came to my rescue. "Kelley, leave the rookie alone. She just sat down to eat her food." I stared up in awe at the only person I recognized so far, (besides Alex Morgan, of course) Tobin Heath.

Before Kelley could protest, Tobin made her stand up and move chairs so that she was no longer sitting next to me. The attention was soon brought to us when Kelley made a big deal about having to move seats, calling Tobin a bully. Yet, the relaxed girl didn't seem phased and sat down in the seat Kelley was previously occupying.

"Hey, I'm-" she began to introduce herself, but I cut her off, finishing her own sentence.

"Tobin Heath... And I'm Casey." I smiled at her, still a little star struck at the player sitting in front of me. Of course, I knew they were all famous players, but it was different actually knowing who she was.