When I'm The Pen

Have you forgotten me?

The most powerful object in the world; I can manipulate your emotions with the slightest shift of my body and leave you feeling broken, or elated, or entirely shielded from the brutality of life. The life that you so desperately want — no, need — to escape from.
I can do that for you, and so much more...

And yet you've all forgotten me so easily. So cruelly.

I hold the wisdom of a thousand years and a million lifetimes; I'm a better secret keeper than the trees that speak infinitely fewer words than me. I'm powerful! I've held countless lives together, like a string held so taut you'd think it was going to snap... But I never would.

Of course it's foolish of me to expect you to comprehend anything other than your pitiful mortality. Your eyes will always flash with the passing excitement of the latest colours of life; magic, technology, love...

But what about me?

I know I'm silent, but if you listen close — really listen — I can scream so many beautiful words; endless tales of love and loss, of hate and heartbreak and of wealth and water.

I run a trail of a thousand tears over each crisp new page. My fragile body allowing the reflection of all the emotions you could never seem to speak out loud.

Please listen.