Back Story Three

"Rise and shine birthday girl. Today is a special day."

Halima gave up the pretense of sleeping and woke up to the smiling faces of Jariyah, Summayah  and little Lubna who was trying to climb her bed- unsuccessfully.

"We know you're awake. Happy Birthday. Here's your breakfast in bed." Halima put her hands to her mouth in unsuccessful surprise at  the trolley filled with food that was wheeled over to her side from the door. She'd known when Summayah sat in conference with Jariyah the previous night.

"You guys, thank you so much." Summayah waved her off and put a small bed top table over her laps. Halima stopped her and jumped out of bed to brush her teeth.

"Summy, what time should we expect Muhsin and his parents?" She watched Lubna pad into her ensuite to watch her do her morning business. After brushing her teeth, she shooed the two year old out of the bathroom and locked the door. At that age, they were terribly inquisitive.

"They're coming at three. Mummy says she can't help because Daddy has physio this morning till around twelve pm. When they reach around three, they'd be plenty of time to get daddy in bed for his rest, and Jamal to reach here." Halima's heart skipped a beat in fear and then some excitement.

"Jamal is coming?" Her voice echoes from the ensuite. Summayah stole a fry off the table she'd set and chewed before replying.

"And my aunt who lives in Devonshire too. She's on the train as we speak." Halima's hand that was guiding her toothbrush shook in fear.

She spat out some foamy toothpaste before replying Summayah. "Why everyone?" Summayah rolled her eyes at Halima's question before slapping Jariyah's hand off the hash browns heaped on the plate.

"Obviously because he is coming to see my parents. Who dates someone with the hope of marrying for over six months without seeing their parents?" Halima rinsed out her tooth brush and came out to answer.

"Obviously Abuja boys." Summayah laughed really hard and flopped unto the bed. Lubna, having no idea why they were laughing, padded out of the bathroom to laugh happily in reply.

Halima sat at her food and tucked in her large nightgown material under her knees.

"So, what are you going to ask cook to prepare for your Captain to eat? What does he like?" Summayah had this non-chalant look in her eyes as she thought.

"Nigerian food obviously. It's just, I don't really know what he likes, seeing as we've only gone on like three or four dates?" She waved her hands to show the inconsequence of her reply.

Halima chewed on two fries after handing some to Lubna and Jariyah to eat. "So, you don't know what he likes?" Summayah hissed in reply.

"I do." She drew on the word to show some hesitation.

"I just cannot you know totally give a pointed answer. So I said to Cook, 'just make Jollof rice and roasted chicken and fish'." She rolled her eyes as she finished speaking.

"Some people I know would be afraid of their military partners." Summayah rolled her eyes again prompting Halima to throw a fry at her. Jariyah was learning things from her.

"You of all people should know I'm not anyone. I'm too much of myself to be anyone else or afraid of anyone else."

*****

"He just sent me their location."

She after looking through her phone set it down on hee dresser. Halima quickened her hands as she rushed her hair. Mummy had shouted at Summayah when she returned with her husband from his physio about her looks. She said 'i wonder what family would see you like this and think you're a good fit fpr their son.'