Chapter 2

Invisible Strings

I have just moved in my parents' home a few months ago that was only a few blocks away from my bakery in London. After my parents' death five years ago I could not bear to live in my parents' home. Their memories haunted me; I was broken and I thought I could never pull myself together. Mrs. Beckford took me to her home for a few days till she knew for sure that I could live on my own. It was my idea that I should move to a rented apartment because if I lived in my parents' home I would never move on and become strong enough to live my life. Though Mrs. Beckford insisted that I should keep on living with them, I could not. How could I? I needed to move on in my own life. Daniel, Mrs. Beckford's son, helped me to find a nice one room apartment not far from their home and my bakery. He, on the other hand, did not force me to stay in their home but he was not happy as well. He would occasionally ask me if I am really ready to move out of their home.

"You don't have to rent an apartment. You know that, don't you? You can live with us as long as you wish to." He told me one night when I was discussing with him about my plan to rent an apartment and move out.

"I know, Danny. You're the only family I have now. But you've to trust me. You have to let me do this. And you, of all people, have to help me." I insisted and he gave in. Being my only best friend, he knew me very well; he knew that when I am too certain about doing something, I do it no matter what. He had no other option but to help me.

Daniel is my childhood friend. My mom and Lydia Beckford met in their sophomore year and instantly became BFFs. Lydia is a single mother. She met some guy and fell in love – but he left her as soon as he came to know that Lydia was pregnant with Danny. She was obviously heartbroken, and on her way to hospital to get an abortion when she suddenly seemed to have come to her senses and decided to keep her baby. My mom and dad always looked after her and Danny. When mom and dad decided to move to London, they also persuaded Lydia to accompany them. They were inseparable ever since and so were I and Danny.

He took my hand in both his hands and pressed it slightly. "Okay. I'm always with whatever you decide to do." With that he pulled me in a hug and I rested my head on his chest. He is indeed my best friend. "Though, you've to talk to mom about this and face her wrath, I'm not gonna be a scapegoat." He muttered.

"I hate you, Danny." I muttered back.

Persuading Mrs. Beckford was like convincing an old teacher that you've to take a half day leave. It took me a lot of efforts, emotional drama and promises before eventually she gave in on one condition that I had to find an apartment close to them so she could make sure I was doing fine. It could not say no to this and within 5 days we were able to find a small apartment for me to settle in. It was not much but it was home. I would still occasionally go to my parents' home to spend some time with their memories. Danny always stopped by my apartment whenever he had time from his software company job. He was a software engineer. And Lydia and I would meet at bakery daily.

About four months ago, I moved back to my parents' home. It was Danny's idea. "I think it's time for you to move in your parents' home. It's been almost four years since they died and you moved out. I think they'd want you to live there, not in some rented house." He said while we were watching a movie in my apartment. I remained silent at first. But I kept thinking about it all night and finally decided to put on big girl panties and return back to my home.

*****

A month had passed since I met that Chris guy on train. I could not bring myself to call him even after saving his number in my phone. I did not even talk about him to Danny. I thought it was just a temporary attraction and I would forget about that insanely handsome guy before long. But I did not know the fact that this time I would have to suffer and try really hard to kick him out of my mind. I'm not one of those girls who would dial the number of a random boy they just met on a train. Nope, I've some self-respect. I never felt that attracted towards a boy before -- but this time it was different. This time something was off; it was not like my past experiences when I would find someone attractive and after a few days that feeling fades away as if it never was there. This time I was feeling strangely attracted and obsessed with that guy. Like I already knew him, like there was some kind of bond, some invisible string that was pulling me to him; like there was some unseen yet unbreakable connection between us. What is so special about him? Why I am so obsessed with him and cannot shake him off my mind? What the fuck is wrong with me? I was infuriated with myself and with that annoyingly handsome boy. It was so unlike me.

It was Saturday evening. I was in my bakery serving one of the last customers as it was almost time to call it a day. On Saturdays, Danny usually stopped by to help us. His mother, Lydia Beckford, left earlier as she had to visit one of her friends before going home to make dinner, and Kayla, our helper, called in sick earlier. So, I was alone with Danny. I did not tell him about that train guy but he got the idea that something was off with me lately. Best friend tingle. 

I was in my own thoughts away from the bakery, not listening to the customer who wanted to pay for strawberry cupcakes. Danny instantly took over my position besides the counter, grabbing my waist and pushing me away slowly and took cash from the customer. At his sudden touch, I jumped and finally snapped out of my thoughts, noticing what I had just done and apologized for my crappy behavior.

"Whao. Now that was unusual. Care to explain?" Daniel asked looking at me with inquisitive look when the customer left.

"Um- n-nothing! Just spaced out, I guess." I just shrugged looking away, not wanting to meet his eyes. I did not want him to see my embarrassed and flustered look. But he would know anyway.

"Trust me, you look anything but fine. Not buying your excuse. Sorry." His voice laced with curiosity and suspicion because he knew me very well. He knew that whenever I avoided looking into his eyes, something was bothering me for sure. He kept on staring at me, inspecting my nervousness. I started fidgeting with my hands, obviously nervous and then I looked up at him finally, my amber eyes peering into his baby blues, trying to let him know with my eyes that it is not the right time to push me.

"I-I-um." He cut me off and placed both his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.

"Sarah, calm down! You don't have to tell me anything, okay. But, if anything is bothering you, you can talk to me anytime. Okay? My little cupcake!" He teased me with this nickname again, clearly attempting to make me laugh. Ah, how much I hated it.

"Don't call me that." I shoved his hands away from my shoulders annoyingly but his trick worked by now and a small smile found its way to my face.

At around 8 pm, I closed my bakery for the day, Danny still with me.

"Hey, wanna come over? Mom must have made dinner by now. You remember? Saturday night means mom's special roast beef! You hungry?" Danny asked me excited. On any other day, I would have loved to go running and stayed there for dinner on a Saturday night, but I was far from feeling normal today.

"I don't think I can, Danny. I'm not feeling well. I think I'm just gonna head back home and get some rest." No he was not going to buy my excuse that easily. He was looking at me suspiciously and a bit worried.

"All the more reason why you should come with me if you're not feeling well, you know." He was not going to give in that soon.

"Danny please!" I snapped, irritation evident in my voice, "I just want some time alone, is it so hard to understand?"

"Whao!" he threw both his hands in air in surrender, "Take it easy, girl! I was just-"

"No. I am-I am sorry." I muttered, feeling guilty. I should not have spat all my anger on him.

"Something is really bothering you, isn't it?" he muttered more to himself than me, "I'm not going to push you any further but just to let you know that whatever it is, you can talk to me--anytime."

I nodded and gave him small smile. He called a taxi for me before giving me tight hug to let me know that he is always with me. I hopped in the taxi and left.

.

.

.

Hey guys!! Plzzz let me know do you like Danny's character???