Chapter 3

Phone Call

As soon as I got home, I took shower, changed into some comfy pajamas and baggy shirt. I did not feel like having dinner, a cup of coffee would do for me right now. I settled on couch with a cup of coffee, turned on TV and started switching channels. I was never fond of TV shows or movies. My mind felt scattered; I could not help thinking about him. I was frustrated with myself. After trying for a long time to concentrate on the movie and failed miserably, I turned it off. My eyes travelled to the mobile phone sitting on the coffee table in front of the couch. I brought my knees up to my chest and buried my face in my knees struggling to free my mind from his perturbing thoughts. The more I thought about that wonderful train journey, the more I wanted to push open the drawer where a certain piece of paper with a certain phone number laid hidden.

He looked so familiar though. Have I seen him somewhere before? Ugh, why can't I stop thinking about him? What if I call him and get it over with. A mere call could inflict no harm. What if he thinks I am so desperate? A lunatic! But it's he who left his number on seat which meant he wanted me to call him. I never asked him though.

I was lost in my thoughts of a certain someone when my phone buzzed, startling me. I switched off TV and reached out to pick phone from the coffee table. It was Lydia. As soon as I answered the phone, she said, "Sarah, love! How're you? Dani told me you were not feeling well today. Are you alright? Should I come over?" Her soft voice clearly laced with motherly concern.

Of course, that traitor! He could not keep his friggin mouth shut!

"I'm alright, Lydia. Dani must be overly concerned about me. I was a bit under the weather. That's all. There is nothing to worry about." I tried to keep my voice as convincing as I possibly could.

"Are you sure, love? You always come over for dinner on Saturdays. Have you had dinner? I'm gonna send some dinner for you. Dani'd be there in 10 minutes."

"No! Wait! Lydia, you don't need to. I've already had my dinner. Actually I'm going to bed. Told you I'm tired." I lied about the dinner. The last thing I wished was to make her upset more than she already was. I felt slightly irritated with Dani about disturbing her peace of mind. He could have easily lied to her. I made my mind to confront him later on.

"Okay. If you say so, honey! Sleep well! And I don't want to see you in bakery early in the morning. I'll take care of it. Okay?" That was an order for me.

"Okay, boss!" I giggled. I liked when Lydia mock-ordered me like mom used to do.

"Good night, Love!"

"Good night!"

After a few moments of staring at phone, I meandered to the room, sat on the edge of bed and meekly opened the drawer of bedside table---on the bottom laid a never-forgotten piece of paper. My hands still trembled slightly as I reached down to life the paper, mildly separating it from other objects, trailing my thumb softly over the letters for the umpteenth time, Keep in touch, Miss Bloom. There was no trace of doubt in the fact that he wanted to carry on what little familiarity we shared during those small hours in train. Why else would someone leave a piece of paper like that? This is by far not a timely infatuation I felt for him—this is more than just a temporary attraction. And there was only one way to stop tormenting myself. Make a call, Sarah

"No! It seems quite improper to call someone at this hour. It was almost midnight. C'mon, Sarah, could you please kick him out of your mind for the rest of the night -- you do need your beauty sleep, don't you? If you're gonna keep thinking about that stupid handsome boy any longer, you'll go crazy. Now get your ass up and go to bed. You're gonna get exhausted in the morning if you don't go to sleep now." I thought aloud, confronting myself.

I am definitely gonna call him in the morning or he will actually drive me crazy.

With that final thought in my mind, I walked over to my room, slipped into my bed before squeezing my eyes shut and after a really long time I drifted off to a rather exhausting journey of sleep.

It was barely dawn when I opened my eyes in the morning. I was in no hurry to go to bakery today. Thanks to Lydia.

I found myself deliberately putting my decision of making a call off. I took an unusually long shower, made myself a proper breakfast of pancakes and bacon, and brewed special creamy coffee. I also ended up dusting my room, living room, kitchen, even did my laundry. When I finally ran out of doing anything else and realized that it could not be pushed off any longer, I sat on my couch, unlocked my phone with shaking hands and thudding heart, and dialed his number secretly hoping for it to go unanswered. Phone rang for a few seconds when someone answered in a groggily morning voice, "Hello!" I stood there frozen like I'll never be able to move again, my feet glued to the floor, my heart thudded in my chest. I opened my mouth to answer but nothing came out.

"Hello! Who is that?" He repeated this time a bit bored.

"H-hi-um- I-it's Sarah. Sarah Bloom." I stuttered. My voice was certainly laced with nervousness. This was so not the way I'd imagined introducing myself. Stupid Sarah!

There was silence for a few seconds like he was trying to remember where he'd heard this name before and I waited anxiously for him to utter something, anything. Different trains of thoughts kept hitting my mind.

What if he doesn't even remember me? He'd think of me as some kind of creepy stalker or nuts.

Few more seconds passed and no answer came from his side. Engulfed with disappointment that he must have forgotten about me, I was about to hang up when he whispered more to himself than me, "Sarah Bloom! I can't believe that." I was going to answer him but was cut off when he continued, "I thought you'll never call. I thought you've forgotten me."

It was like he read my mind. Same thought were bombarding my stupid mind a few seconds ago that he had forgotten all about our meeting in train.

"Well! Neither did I." I started but was interrupted again.

"What kept you from calling me for a whole month? Why didn't ya call me before? I thought I must have come out as a pervert." His deep voice was laced with excitement this time.

I giggled. "Of course not. You came out as you, I guess. Actually I got caught up with stuff. Well, h-how're you, Chris?" I was struggling with my jumbled thoughts. It was all new to me. Calling someone I had only met once was beyond what I ever thought I dared to do.

"Well, I will make sure you won't disappear again. I am gonna save your number right away." He said with small laugh.

"Don't worry-I'm not gonna go anywhere now." As if I can if I want. Your thoughts will never leave me alone.

"I'll kidnap you and put you in dungeon if you ever try to." He laughed at his own joke, making me chuckle too. His laughter was contagious. He added, "Well, now then, you've finally called me, what are you doing this weekend?"

"Nothing special" I replied.

"Is there any chance we could meet?" He asked with a bit shaky voice.

"Umm . . . Sure. Why not." I said blushing.

"Great! See you on weekend then." He said enthusiastically.

"See ya!" I said still smiling like an idiot.

Weekend it is then!