━ newcomer

chapter 10

2 ½ WEEKS LATER

3 DAYS AFTER THE TRANSFER PROGRAM'S END

MONDAY, 7:33 AM

Shimamura stood tense in the expansive room. Her hands were hanging in front of her, her fingers intertwining and picking at the calluses on the pads of her palm. Her blue eyes were dim. Everything in her mind was as turbulent as the sea, trying to convince herself to stay calm but also naming every reason why she shouldn't be. She'd have a headache by the end of the day if this kept up.

"I'll introduce you when they all arrive."

She stared intently at the looming figure. He was hovering over a desk in the teacher's lounge, picking up numerous papers and setting them aside. There was a file with Shimamura's name on it but she decided not to question it. Knowing what today meant, she knew what it was for. She knew its contents.

"Right..." She murmured quietly.

"You'll stand at the front of the room."

"Yes..."

Mr. Aizawa paused, glancing at her. He raised a tired eyebrow at her tense figure. His eyes drifted down to her hands, seeing her picking at them. Then his eyes reconnected with hers.

"You don't have to say anything to them, you know. You're just here to test the waters."

Test. An odd choice of words given what the last few weeks have entailed for Shimamura. So... so many tests.

She blinked. "I know."

"You'll be fine. Don't get so worked up about this."

Shimamura rubbed her elbow, shrugging. She expected she'd be more excited about today and what it might prevail. But her mind wouldn't let her be happy. Nervousness took over. Fears and darkness lurked behind her clouded eyes. She wasn't crying or sad. She was just fearful.

"Maybe we should wait—"

"No," Aizawa asserted. "You are the top finisher of the Transfer Program. You beat Shinsou in the final test, remember?" She nodded slowly. "If the other teachers didn't think you were ready, you wouldn't be here now. But here you are."

There was an ounce of bitterness in his voice. Aizawa had been rooting for Shinsou since the beginning of the Transfer Program. The only problem was he was also trying to support Tikki Shimamura simultaneously. How was he supposed to react when his two top picks were first and second in the Program? Who was he meant to support when only one could reign as victor?

"Do you think I'm ready?" Shimamura mumbled.

"That depends."

Shimamura pursed her lips. She could be volatile at times... temperamental. Now was not the time to be.

She took a deep breath and held her head up. She stared at his dark appearance with a newly motivated look. Her clouded irises now glowed brightly in their brilliant blue hue. Her hands took her two long white strands and wrapped them around her bun to hide them. They wouldn't stay there for long, but it kept them out of the way for a bit.

"I'm ready," Shimamura nodded with a soft smile.

Aizawa chuckled and shook his head at her. "Alright, mini-Ori. Let's go."

He picked up his stack of papers from his desk and headed to the exit of the Teacher's Lounge. Shimamura picked up her backpack from the ground and quickly followed behind him. She tripped a bit but quickly caught her balance, sucking in a breath as she did so. She hoped no one noticed.