Ocean

"Don't touch the water when it's awake. That's all I need you to do." The voice still echoed in his head, long after the person whom he associated with the voice had disappeared from his mind's eye. The timbre of the voice, the tone, every single part of it, however... stayed, etched in his head. It was a young female voice, sweet and harmonious, though it was hushed and serious then.

It had been so long since Xisuma had given up looking for who the voice belonged to. In the city-state of Solivaga, the seas sat, dormant. Occasionally, the black waters awoke, normally at night, roaring and crashing against the shores, sending tsunami-like waves across the sand. Then, it would drop again, quietly becoming the smooth surface that normally stayed there.

Daring people had gone down there, but only when the ocean was calm. They reported nothing. Nothing was there. Just a normal sea floor, like the oceans surrounding every single other continent in the world. But no one knew what it was like when it raged. People had tried, yes, but never had one returned to tell the tale.

Rumours spread throughout the village he lived in, telling of mysterious sirens calling, beasts, lashing out with razor-sharp appendages, unexplainable currents dragging any unfortunate passerby down. All while the sea was in motion.

Despite a multitude of warnings from villagers, he'd always found a strange fascination with the ocean. 'A thalassophile,' people whispered. 'They've always brought the wrath of the gods upon us. They're dangerous.' And because of that, he'd always been shunned from the others, an outcast. And no one took kindly to outcasts.

This proved true, one morning as he sat on a clifftop, overlooking the smooth blanket of water. The precipice jutted straight out over the water, at least forty meters above sea level. It was a wonder that no one had any warning signs nor fencing up, but it didn't matter. He liked this. Until the tell-tale rumbling started, signalling the sea's awakening. Xisuma got up quickly, knowing that he shouldn't even risk being near the water when it was in that state. This was new. It wasn't even night.

Just then, a group appeared on the footpath, walking their way up to him, while he was still standing dangerously close to the edge. X recognised them immediately. They were almost like the village gang. Except he'd never come in contact with them before. One of them marched straight up to him.

"The fuck you doing here? It's dangerous. Unless... you're the one who caused this? Your entire family.. all of this started when your family came here!" He was known as Liam, but names didn't really matter right now.

"What? No! I just like looking at the sea!" X tried to protest, but was cut off by him.

"Don't believe you," Liam dismissed his statement offhandedly. "The entirety of the Void family are freaks. Whatever happened to your brother? He disappeared one day, didn't he? Into the ocean? Like I said, freaks."

Xisuma sucked in a breath. It was true, Xavier had disappeared as a young teen. It was reported that he fell into the sea, and he'd never been seen again. "..Don't talk about him like that." He forced out, stepping away from the edge, only to be blocked.

"D'aww... little X misses his brother.." Liam cooed, glaring. "Why don't you what happened to him for yourself. Goodbye, Xisumavoid." With that, Liam gave Xisuma a hard shove. Due to his already rather precarious position on the overhang, he toppled back, unable to catch his balance.

The air whipped around him, and he vaguely heard a scream from above him somewhere. Followed by, "let's go, we're getting out of here!" Without warning, a wave of cold surrounded him, knocking X back to his senses. Struggling futilely in the frigid waters, he found it basically impossible to keep his head up as wave after wave crashed over him. Beneath the water, the situation wasn't much better. Strong currents threw his body about like a rag doll. Especially with his limited swimming skills, there was basically no chance for him.

Ah well. Least I'll see you again, Xavier.

Very short. Part two, anyone?