The above book in the media box was written by me and can be gotten on sofanovel. If you're interested in reading, kindly drop a comment here and I'll send the link to you in your DM.  ➡
● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

The tantalising aroma of my mum's cooking filled my nostrils as I sat on my bed,  rubbing my eyes wearily.  My mum's cooking had a way of waking me up from my sleep and as I sat, I tried to tell what she was preparing from the aroma.

It was hightime I believed the saying: good food is the way to a man's heart. My mother's cooking made my heart flutter every time.

With water dripping from my hair, I walked to the kitchen where my mum stood with an apron tied to her waist.  She had her back turned to me so I walked closer to her and rested my chin on her shoulder as I peeped at the content in the pot.

That singular gesture made my mum flinch a bit but when she saw it was just me, she raised the spatula in her hand to smack me. I dodged her attack and we both fell into fit of giggles when some content on the spatula splashed on my face. 

"I thought you had plans to sleep throughout the whole day." My mum began after I had greeted and kissed her on the cheek. She loved when I did that so I made sure to do it most times - times when I was in a good mood.

"That's impossible.  Not when I have a lot to pack for school tomorrow." I stole some fried plantains from the sieve and my mother smacked my hand. 

"You can pack tomorrow. Why are you in a haste to leave home?" A frown took over her feature and I sighed.

"I'll have to leave one day, won't I?"

"You don't have to rub it to my face everytime." My mum shook her head and my jaw dropped.

"When did I ever?" I blurted out and when I didn't get any response, I said, "Exaggeration, mum."

I peered at my mum's face when she didn't reply again and when I saw the look on her face, I knew what she was thinking. I held her drooped shoulders with both hands and turned her to look at me. Her lean figure looking smaller as she lowered her eyes.

"Mum." I began calmly.  "You know I have to go. Besides, you ought to be used to my absence by now. You've been okay through out so why now that I'm going to spend my final year in college?"

"I know." My mother let out a big sigh.
Sweat had gathered on her nose in tiny beads and she lifted her arm to wipe her forehead.  Her fair skin looking paler as she sighed again.

"I think I should just adopt a kid. You're already grown up and very soon, you'll be talking about marriage." Her lips curved into a smile and she turned to stir the steaming stew.

I rolled my eyes now that she wasn't looking.

"Marriage is not on my agenda. That would be in twenty years time." I smirked, knowing how she would react to this.

Just as I had expected,  she turned to me sharply with a scowl.

"Never! You're my only child. I won't let that happen!"

I began to laugh at her outburst and when she saw I had been joking, she hit me on my head and I grimaced, rubbing my head slowly as I walked to the nearby stool. As my mum cooked, thoughts of school filled my head.

A new semester had just begun and I was anxious and curious due to it being my final year and me getting a new roommate.  Every session,  students balloted for a bed space in an hostel and this made us have new roommates. 

While I loved this, I couldn't deny the anxiety welling up in my tummy. What would he be like? Would I like him? Would we blend well just as I had done with Tunde?