6

"I'm very sorry." I sighed. "I went for a vigil so I didn't get enough sleep." I lied. I seriously could not tell them that I was awake all night, partying. They will all be disappointed in me.

"It's okay Daniel. I can see that you need to sleep. Go back, I'll explain this topic to you on Monday or better still, I'll send the recording of this group study." Tunde informed me.

"Thank you so much." I was grateful. I stood up and packed my books.

"Do you need help? I could follow you to the park if you don't mind." Chineye offered.

"Thanks a lot Chichi. But there's no need. I don't want to bother you." I replied as I waved to the rest.

"It's not a bother." I heard her say but I quickened my steps and walked away.

I got to the hostel very tired. Tony was not still back. I slumped on my bed and fell asleep.

I got something to eat immediately I woke up and after that I drifted off to sleep yet again.  When I woke up the next day, I felt better.

I was not as tired as I was the other day. I decided not to go to church but instead go through the recording Tunde sent me.

After several hours of studying, I went out to the buttery to get some food to eat. I returned back to my hostel and sat on the chair.

I recounted Friday's event and thought of that pretty girl whose face had featured in my dream all through the night. I wanted to see her again.

Why I wanted to, I didn't know. Perhaps, I didn't like the impression she had of me. I wanted to change that.

Would she be in the next party? Or was she like me — forced by her roommate? It could be true for she didn't look so happy to be in the party. I was back to reality by the slamming of the door. It was Tony.

"Guy, how far?"

"I'm okay." I replied him. "Where have you been?"

"Hanging out with friends." He sighed.

"Okay." I responded and turned to face my book.

"I'm very sure you would never step your foot in any party again."

"I would have agreed with you if I didn't see that girl." I breathed.

"What girl?"

I gasped. I never knew I said that loud enough for him to hear. "Don't mind me jare."

"Talk jor. Which girl?" He seemed amused. "Ella?"

I chuckled. "I wish. It's just a girl I saw in the party. I will like to see her again."

"Can you describe her? I might know her. You never can tell." He winked at me.

He could be right. He might know her and then, it would be much easier to speak with her.

"Well, she's pretty tall with killer body. She has this sad eyes like something is bothering her. But those eyes can be stern like that of a hawk when she frowns at you. She is so_"

"Guy! Guy! Guy! How do you expect me to know her through your description? There are so many tall pretty girls out there." Tony laughed.

"I didn't really see her. She was with me for like two minutes." I sighed defeatedly.

"Don't worry. You might see her again." Tony held my shoulders. "But the only way you might see her is by_"

"Attending parties? Oh no! I can't. I haven't recovered from this one."

"Come on. She might be at the next party. You don't have to attend all. You might be lucky to see her this Friday."

"And what If I don't?"

"There's no harm in trying. Look, we're not going to the frathouse this Friday. My friend Martins is hosting a party at his house. You have nothing to worry about."

"Your friend? Martins? Then I can't go. You know I and your friends don't get along at all."

"Martins is not like that. He's very friendly. Besides, you can choose not to stay with me at the party."

I sighed. "I don't know."

"Think about it, okay?"

"No problem." I concluded.

I decided to go with Tony to his friend's party. I knew I shouldn't be doing this but I really wanted to see that girl. Like Tony said, I might see her in this party. 

I made up my mind to forget the girl if I didn't see her at the party. I couldn't continue to attend parties and ruin my life and studies because of a mysterious girl that shared just three minutes of my life.

As usual, I was quiet through out the drive to Tony's friend's house while Tony chattered and bickered. He was a talkative. I had never seen a guy who talked that much before.

He never got tired of talking instead he derived joy from it. I could tell that the guys in the car were already tired of his talks by the tired smile on their faces but Tony didn't notice this.

Tony's friend's house was a storey building. Tony had earlier informed me that the parents of the host were always away on business trip, so all parties were hosted in the house without any disturbance.

The house was filled with lot of people as usual. Music was playing and people were dancing. Tony shook my hand and left to find his people while I stood trying to find my girl.

I moved from one place to another searching for her. After an hour of searching for her, I sat on a stool, tired and hungry. What was I thinking?

That I'd find her in the midst of this crowd? God! Since when did I become this foolish?

Since when you started hanging out with that roommate of yours. I heard my subconscious mock me. I sighed deeply as I wiped sweat from my face.

There were small chops being distributed around so I collected a pack and ate quietly. I was very disappointed. I wished I had just stayed in my hostel.

What excuse was I to tell my friends the next day? Would I say I went for another vigil? Who'd buy that? I angrily squeezed the pack of the small chop and dumped it on the floor. I sighed once again.

The smell of sweat and vodka were choking me. I quickly got up to find my way outside for I needed cool breeze.

Some set of people were standing in groups outside. I felt better after inhaling and exhaling natural air.

I decided to stay there; staying there was better than staying inside. Not quite long, my natural air was contaminated by smoke from a cigarette.