one.

•••

•••

"Scott Gregorio McCall."

The boy froze when his neighbour's porch light turned on, the sudden brightness making his eyes sting. The blonde leant against the door frame with Molly, her five-year-old St. Bernard, stood at her side waiting attentively for her command. The surprise of being caught had let what happened in the woods slip from Scott's mind momentarily but the dog's presence brought it back to the forefront and with it the throbbing pain in his side.

"What the hell are you doing?" She asked, sending Molly back inside before moving down the steps and towards the boy. As she walked she pulled her cardigan tighter around her body to ward off the cold night air. "It's one in the morning and you have school tomorrow."

"Sorry Liz," He apologised, racking his brain for an excuse that wouldn't result in his head being on the chopping block. "I just-"

"Scott, you're bleeding," She cut him off, eyes focused on the torn and bloody fabric of his hoodie. "Let's get this cleaned up, yeah?"

Nodding silently he let himself be pulled up the porch steps and into the woman's kitchen. Doing as told Scott sat down at the dining table as she pulled out the first aid kit from under the sink. He didn't know what he could say to wriggle his way out of this one but one thing he did know was that he was going to kill Stiles in the morning.

"So, you gonna tell me what happened?" She asked raising a single brow at him as she opened the first aid bag and grabbed a couple of antiseptic wipes. Tearing open the first one, she slipped the wipe from its packaging and gestured for Scott to lift his shirt up. "Or do I have to call your mom?"

"Please don't! It's not a big deal, I was just messing arou-" Scott hissed in pain at Elizabeth pressing the wipe against his bloodied side, a less than impressed look replacing the concern she'd worn moments ago.

"Don't lie to me, McCall," She told him pointedly as she focused on cleaning the wound thoroughly ignoring Scott's whining for her to be gentle. "Look, just tell me what's going on and this stays between us. Deal?"

"Yeah," He sighed, relieved that not only had she finished wiping the bitemark but that she wouldn't tell his mom. Taking some gauze pads and tape, Elizabeth began dressing the injury being more gentle now that Scott was willing to work with her rather than against her. "Stiles and I went to the preserve looking for a dead body. He overheard his dad on the phone about it."

"Okay, so where is the little shit?" She asked as she stood from her kneeled position and began clearing up the first aid kit and soiled wipes. With everything back in its place, she moved over to the kitchen counter and began making the two hot cocoa. "Did he go home or?"

"He got caught by his dad. He was out searching too because, y'know, he's the sheriff." Elizabeth set a mug of cocoa down in front of him and sat down with her own, soon joined by Molly who rested her head atop the blonde's lap and stared Scott down quizzically. "I didn't want to get in trouble so I hid."

"Alright, so how did you end up getting that bite?" She rose a brow at him as she took a sip of her cocoa. "Jump into the wrong backyard and got mauled by some old ladies chihuahua?"

"Some deers came running at me when I was trying to find my way out of the preserve and I lost my inhaler." He explained, unimpressed by her sarcastic remark. He had to put up with it from Stiles all the time, he didn't need it from her too. "When I was looking for it I think a wolf attacked me. I heard one howling before it bit me."

"It wasn't a wolf." She said without a second's hesitation causing the boy's brows to furrow. Realising what she'd said, her eyes widened a little bit. "I uh, I mean I've lived here all my life and I've never once heard anything about wolves being here."

"But I know what I heard." He groaned. It was disheartening to hear that she didn't believe him. "I swear I heard a wolf."

"I don't know Scott," She sighed, hating that she'd upset the boy and that she was about to lie to him. "It was probably just a stray dog, okay?"

"Yeah," He nodded dejectedly. "I should get home, school in the morning."

"Take the guestroom," She told him, standing and clearing their now empty mugs. "It's late and your mom's at work. I'm sure I've got some of your clothes still from the last time you stayed over."

"Yeah, okay." With that, he sulked off upstairs leaving Elizabeth and Molly to their own devices.

"Goodnight to you too Scotty."

•••

Beth notes:

Alright, that was the first chapter. Nothing major happened but that's pretty much the standard for my fics.

I've had this in my drafts way too long lmao

Ps. I got Scott's middle name off of Will Wallace's Twitter so do come for me if it's wrong!