Against gravity

Eredius III, orbit, Minerva's Spear

Tech marine Hatuk had given Vex codes and frequencies to link his mask into the data feed of the Stalwart Knife. It allowed the inquisitor to see the space battle as it played out. He saw the simulated outline of the Void Hunters' cruiser move towards the trade station. Flight vectors represented the torpedoes as they raced at the station's void shields. Gun batteries opened fire as the Adamant came into reach.

The light cruiser acted in kind. Macro cannon impacts created little flashes on the simulated shielding. But the simple depiction in Vex's mask just couldn't give the destructive power of the weapons credit.

"Void shields are nearly down," captain Urlas grumbled. "The window will be narrow. Forward!"

"You have heard captain Urlas," Deathwatch captain In'Tallas voxed to the squadron of mixed gunships. "Attack formation. Weapons at the ready. We're going in hot."

Kressman piloted the Spear into formation with the space marine ships. Vex swung himself down into the gun turret and redirected the gunship's missile controls into his mask. Data feeds of the missile guidance systems joined his perception.

Torpedoes raced past them when the Adamant fired the next volley. The heavy explosions opened a corridor in the void shields of the eredian trade station.

Defensive turrets welcomed the Imperial gunships. But their fire was only guided by the simple mind of servitors. A skilled data analyst like Vex could predict their pattern and Kressman only had to evade the projected gun arcs.

The formation darted apart as the gunships turned to evasive maneuvers. Imperial guns returned fire onto the defenses. Las cannon pulses and impacts of heavy bolters raced along the station's hull. Vex also aimed the Spear's heavy bolter turret at the gun line around the hangar's entrance.

But the turrets were heavily armed and withstood most of the bombardment. The missile volleys were more effective. Turrets disappeared behind impacts as Vex guided the micro missile swarm into them. Further explosions ripped turrets apart when the space marine gunships equally fired their potent missile payload.

The first space battle above Eredius had cost the station its bomber squadron. Now the hanger was empty, a perfect place to set down. The two Deathwatch Blackstar gunships were the first to slip through the hangar's oxygen shields. Enemy cultists opened fire on the black crafts with heavy weapons. And in the limited space of the hangar bay, the fire was lethal.

The Blackstar's nose mounted storm cannon returned fire in an atmospheric vector-engine fly-by. But the enemy soldiers still found the weakness in the gunship. A missile slammed into the engine intake and the gunship spewed flames and smoke. The pilot managed to ungracefully set the ship down. But not without screeching one wing over the ground. Front facing doors slammed down and the Deathwatch marines stormed out.

The Void Hunters pushed in next. Thunderhawks and Stormraven opened fire and put the balustrades under fire. Cultists were ripped apart. And when the assault marines rose up on burning jump packs, the remaining cultists quickly fell to chainblades and power spears.

Kressman sat the inquisitorial gunship down last. The ramp slammed down and Jubelius pushed his squad out to form a defensive cordon for the inquisitor.

Vex started his servo skull. The former human skull had been outfitted with a wide array of sensory. And with the hidden boltgun shell in its left eye, it was as much an auspex eye as a hidden weapon.

Vex had brought his entire arsenal of stealth-, auspex- and gun drones. They followed the servo skull into the air and formed a ring of eyes and guns above Vex.