Mortality Rate

CHAPTER TWO

H a y d e n

I was on my way out of the building when I heard someone shout, "He's coding!" There was a commotion in the hospital's lobby. "Sir, 'di po kayo pwede dito." Members of the Benson family are weeping. Turns out, the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Benson met a terrible accident. The mortality rate of what he's gone through is pretty high.

I put down my bag at the nurse's station and jogged to the ER. "Move." The young intern nodded and gave way. "Charge!" I was handed the pedals, and when I said, "Clear," all of the youngin's hands were lifted up. Oh, God, something smells.

I tried to revive the man named Wyatt, but as the line showed its final notch before going on flatly as the machine continues to make a familiar, dreading sound, I announced his time of death. "Take care of him, I'll inform the family. And please, hit the showers. I don't want you smelling like a warrior on my floor." I rolled the curtains to the side, sighing deeply. God bless the man's soul. I learned he was just trying to save a kid. He was a firefighter. Poor guy, pogi pa naman.

"I'm sorry," was all I can say to the grieving family. I nodded before turning away from the mother, who will faint any second now. I hope the dad will be able to catch her before she loses her balance and hits her head on the floor. The neurosurgeon is on vacation. It's not my forte. Okay, in three, two, one. "Knew it."

The set of metal tingled from my pocket, where my remote key covered with leather is attached. I made my way to the parking bay where my titanium grey-colored Xpander Cross is.

From Dylan:
Babe, I'm sorry. I have to cancel our dinner tonight. We have this meeting. It's important.

You replied to Dylan:
I kinda saw this coming. It's not the first time, Dylan. It's our anniversary but sure, yeah. It's okay.

The asshole didn't even have the decency to call me or send me flowers. He knows I love them. Sabagay, ganito naman talaga kapag wala na sa ligawan stage. Alam naman ng kababaihan na darating at darating sa ganito ang bawat relasyon, pero 'di naman maiwasang umasa lalo na kung kelan lang nag-away kayo tapos pinangakuan ka ng pagbabago. I love him, I do understand him, but sometimes I wonder when will he take the time to try and understand that I do have needs, too.

From Dylan:
Okay, babe. Thanks.

And the cellphone had gone straight into my bag. I wish I didn't bother sticking my AirPods on, I won't get a call anyway. "Ang rupok talaga, 'tang ina." Hindi ko matiis, eh. I have to let him know, I just hope he's sensitive enough to notice. Of course, women know what this means.

You replied to Dylan:
👍

-

I found Tati, my best friend, sitting on the couch with her iPad. Tutok na tutok sa pinapanood, eh. "Hoy, Tatiana, nanood ka ba ng American Horror Stories ng wala ako? Hah?" Along with the guilt showing on her face, Tati nods slowly. "Bitch. Now, you're gonna be telling me a bedtime story."

"What are you? Ten?" Napansin siguro niya yung kalungkutan ko. Ikaw ba naman ang matulala ng biglaan. "O, ba't ganyan hitsura mo?" Turning away from the screen, she says, "Ako ba yung may asawa at ikaw yung single dahil walang oras lumandi, Hayden? You look like your ass just got handed to you." My friend lifted my chin up before pinching my cheeks. "Thought you had a date tonight?" Tinignan ko lang siya bago dumiretso sa kusina. Sinundan ako nito sabay sabing, "He canceled again?"

"Ano pa nga ba?"

"Did he at least get you anything special? Like lingerie or something?"

"It's not like we're still on the honeymoon stage." I've been married for two years now. He was my first love, first kiss, and everything. He made a lot of promises, like making me happy for all eternity, but I guess, promises are meant to be broken. "Sanayan na lang siguro."