Say A Prayer

CHAPTER SEVEN

C l a r k e

"What the fuck is she doing?" I walked along with the human, shoulder to shoulder, looking at her brown orbs steadily. I can't remember the last time I stared at any human's eyes. I can see fear, but there is determination in between the doubt. "Look at this fool," Raphaelle was trailing behind us. "...she had the chance to escape when she took that stupid wheelchair. I wonder how will this turn out."

"Oh, it's bad. I can feel it."

"Me, either."

"One thing's for sure; it won't be pretty as that of the girl your eyes are glued to."

"I'm not staring at the beautiful ass of this superhero wanna-be."

"Hmm, which makes her more of an angel than you'll ever be." Elle teased, catching up with me and the girl. "Kidding. She's just ordinary. Siguro, ayaw lang niyang masaktan ang mga tao. Her life for everyone else's in the building. Very dramatic, isn't it?"

"Indeed, it is."

"And people think this only happens in the movies."

"Quite theatrical, this one." I shook my head with amazement. Yeah, it's stupid, I don't really understand her reason why, but this girl did show bravery. Hmm, if she weren't human, I'd date her. If she's lucky, I'd meet her twice and let her sit on the hood of my car. "And this guy, he killed his wife. What makes her think that he'll spare her life once the assailant's girlfriend or whatever, meets its bitter end?"

"I'll bet you a nice, delicious breakfast in bed if this one makes it out alive."

"Do you mean it?"

"Patola. Magtrabaho na lang tayo."

By the time they arrived at the operating room, the young doctor asked the nurses to flee the scene without asking any more questions. "Alis na. Wala nang tanung-tanong pa. As a doctor of this hospital, I command you all to leave at once. Do not tell anybody I'm here. And please, don't let anyone come inside." My, oh, my, that was hot. Bossy and all, I'm starting to like this girl. "Understood?!"

"Sige po, doc." Sabi nung isang matangkad na nars. "Magtawag lang po kayo kung-"

"Didn't I tell you to leave already?!"

"Ano'ng kailangan mo? Alin dito?" Tanong ng matanda nang may pinaabot ang doktora. Sa sobrang daming gamit at mga vial, hindi na malaman ng lalake kung alin dito ang kailangan nito. "Kukuha ba ako ng isang tao para sa'yo?" Agad namang tumanggi ang babae. "Kung gano'n, bilisan mo naman! Hindi na nga yata humihinga 'yan, eh." Actually, malapit na ngang matigok ang duguang babae'ng nakaratay sa operating table. "Buhayin mo 'yan."

The doctor was in the middle of surgery when she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Am I not clear when I ordered you to-" Nanlaki ang mga mata niya nang makita niya kung sino ang taong humawak sa kanyang balikat. "Shit, shit!"

"Babe, please. I'm sorry." He was wearing the same face mask as that of the lady physician. "Please, come home. We need to talk everything out."

"Babe?" Raphaelle laughed. "Dear Lord, why must they do this to her?" Both of us assumed that the guy who just waltzes in is her boyfriend. "This is so complex. Pa'no kaya niya uutakan 'tong killer?"

"At sino naman 'to? Paalisin mo na, bago ko pa barilin 'yan." Narinig kong binulong ng mamang 'di mapakali. "'Wag na 'wag kang magkakamaling magsumbong." Ipinakita niya kung paano niya patagong dinukot ang baril mula sa pagkakasukbit nito. "Ngayon na."

"Babe, who is this?" Napakatanga naman nito't 'di agad napansin ang matandang nakatayo sa tabi ng matapang na babae. "Sir, you cannot be here. Maghintay na lang po kayo sa labas. Pasyente niyo ho ba 'to?"