CHAPTER 1

Alcala was once a sleepy town of the province of Pangasinan. There was no sign of progress until Tomas Braullio, who was in his early forties, became the mayor of the town. Braullio was a rich politician with vast tract of lands in the eastern barangays of Alcala. Using his wealth, he gained the upper hand over his rival for the mayoralty race Antonio Agaton. During the campaign, he promised to the inhabitants a prosperous Alcala where greater opportunity awaits. Such promise of heaven on earth was enough to win him the election-by a landslide!

True to his words, he worked hard to improve Alcala's economy. He invited large corporations to invest in his town, thereby creating many jobs for the people. The once sleepy town became a booming town. In five years time, Alcala became the most progressive town in Northern Luzon. Mayor Tomas Braullio became an instant celebrity, the envy of all municipal mayors!

Despite his monumental achievements, there was something sinister in Braullio's character. Deep inside him, there lies a deeply rooted greediness! He would spare nothing just to get what he wanted. And this is where his evil nature reared its ugly head.

It happened that one day he endeavored to undertake a project that would earn him huge amount of profit. It's a big resort that traversed the two barangays of Apartado and Vacante, two eastern barangays of Alcala. This resort had the potential of attracting local and foreign tourists, mostly Europeans. He had to convert a huge portion of his landholdings in these two barangays for his pet project. There was a problem, however. There was a hectare of land in Apartado in the midst of his landholding. This land was owned by an old farmer Victorio Sungco, better known as Apo Vicong in his community. He was almost 80 years old but still strong.

So Mayor Braullio was very desirous to have that land at all cost. One morning of May 30, 1996, accompanied by his 2 armed bodyguards, Mayor Tomas Braullio paid old Vicong a surprise visit right in his farm. Old Vicong, together with his thirty year old son Diomedes, was busy in his farm chores when the mayor and his company came along. With all humility, both father and son greeted the mayor.

"Good morning, Apo1 Mayor. It's an honor to have you in my humble farm," Old Vicong bowed.

"Good morning Apo Vicong," Mayor Bruallio saluted back. "This must be Diomedes, your son."

"Naimbag nga bigat yo Mayor (good morning, Mayor)," Diomedes bowed.

"You look busy today, both of you." The mayor commented.

"We're preparing the land for the next cropping, Apo," Old Vicong replied. Then he said to his visitors, "It's too hot here Apo. Let's go to my hut so that you may be rested. I am sure you got tired walking to my farm."

Diomedes courteously led the visitors to the hut, "This way, Apo Mayor."

Diomedes was the only son of Apo Vicong. He was brown-skinned with well built body-- the product of long hard work in the farm. Diomedes, at thirty, was sixteen years younger than Mayor Tomas Braullio. Diomedes, who was married to his childhood sweetheart Agripina,  had a ten-year old son named  Dodong.

"That's our hut over there, Apo Mayor," Diomedes said as he pointed to a hut near the ipil-ipil trees.