5. Bittersweet (Hueningkai)

y/n pov

the first time i met him, i was 10.

i was on the sidewalk of my neighborhood, skipping giddily in my new sparkly shoes. snowflakes were slowly covering the road, the christmas lights in each house providing a colorful scenery of the neighborhood, helped by the falling snow.

it was the night of christmas that i got my new shoes that i once admired in the shop that was given by my parents. my heart leaped as high as the sky as soon as i ripped open the wrappings, jumping around the house with the shoes on.

the shoes had a pinky sparkle, with a glittery strap and flowers on it as the final touch. my parents allowed me to take a walk with the shoes on, and so i did.

i kept on skipping, enjoying the scenery without realizing that the sidewalk was starting to get more and more slippery.

when i landed with both of my feet, my left foot didn't get a firm landing, causing me to slip and bump my knees and body to the ground.

i froze for a moment, taking in what just happened. "ouch." i mumbled, and as soon as i sat up, i saw my knees scraped with blood. i grimaced at the sight.

then i took a glance at my shoes. and my heart sank to the bottom of the sea as soon as i saw the flower was missing from my left shoe. i burst into tears, still sitting on the ground after realizing that i broke my new shoes.

"you okay?" a voice suddenly called out from above me. it was filled with hapiness and concern at the same time. i looked up to see who it was.

hueningkai was crouching down to my level, a boy that lived in the house next to mine. his face was showing pure concern, and as soon as he saw my wounds, he gasped and instantly took my hand as he stood up.

"it hurts, kai." i looked down at my wounded knees after i stood up. i grimaced again at the wound. and somehow, i started crying again.

"come on." hueningkai grabbed my hand and put it over his shoulders as he helped me walk.

"where are we going, kai?" i asked after realizing that he just passed my house.

"my house." he faced me and smiled.

his house was quiet, there was barely no noise except for our footsteps.

as soon as we got inside, he helped me up the stairs and we went into what seemed like his room. he looked like he was struggling on carrying me because he was making weird expressions when he started to help me walk. i just chuckled.

he sat me down on his bed. and after that, he leaned down to my eye level.

"wait here, okay?" he cheered, a cute smile plastered on his face. his face was so close to mine i was able to see all his face features.

i nodded, and he left his room after.

i had nothing to do, so i looked around his room. it was the first time i've ever been inside his room. his room had a calming aura, everything decorated in light blue. his bed, his wallpaper, his desk, even his wardrobe was in a shade of blue. and when i looked up to the ceiling, i gasped in amazement as i saw the ceiling in a very dark shade of blue with stars and the moon drawn on it. i was staring at it in amazement and wonder when something in the corner of my eyes caught my attention.

it was a poster plastered onto the wall next to his desk. the poster stood out from the others since it wasn't blue. the poster was a picture of a group of boys, to be specific a boyband called 'TXT'. i instantly felt emotional after i read what was below the picture.

'let's be together even after tomorrow.'

my mind drifted to the things we do as neighbors. in the night, i would take my flashlight out to do morse codes, and he would always reply. his room was across mine, so almost every night before we sleep we would talk in morse code.