Chapter Four

Rey's Point of View
———

I could feel the intensity of my heart racing in my chest, I had the Falcon up and running in what felt like seconds. It took me a couple hours to prep it for takeoff, the calcinator had rot a bit, but that was an easy fix. Also the internal core drive had gotten a bit...dusty since this ship was flown last. It was hard taking the ship back from Lando. But he told me if anyone should have it, it should be the force daughter in law of Han Solo, which truly meant the world to me. I had always considered Ben's family my own, but after the revelation of our dyad connection, now they really feel like my family.

I may never have known my parents, but I have Ben's family, and they are more than enough.

The journey to Jakku wasn't easy on me, with every moment that we drew closer, I could feel my skin grow colder, the anxiety of returning to the initial source of my pain was one that I did not want nor appreciate. I have to be strong, I have to be brave.
As we make our final approach out of hyperspace, BB-8 beeps behind me.

"Don't worry BB-8, I don't want to come back here either, but there's something I need to get..."

We exit hyperspace, and upon instinct I hold my breath. It looks exactly the same. The same barren wasteland hasn't changed a bit in the years I have spent away. Perhaps that's a good sign.

The ship lands with a thud onto the ragged surface, shaking the entire vessel, and making BB-8 loudly whirr at me.

"I'm sorry!" I say to my little round friend. "It's just nerves, I'm ready to be on and off of this planet as soon as possible. So therefore you get to stay with the ship, make sure nobody tries to steal it for the hundredth time." I could hear him making some sarcastic comment behind me, but I elected to ignore it.

The hatch door opens, and the beaming heat rushes towards me, making me instantly sweat upon impact. The fear of stepping back onto the surface causes me to freeze in place.

"Breathe Rey." I hear Ben say to me in my mind. "Just breathe, I'm right behind you."

His words instantly send a calming sensation through me, as I inhale as deeply as I can, and exhale as much as possible.

"You know, I could really use you here right now." I say as I take my first steps off of the ship.

"I'll be there soon, there's someone here I need to talk to first. It's kind of a big deal."

"Oh?" I say, my feet continuing to carry me. "Even more of a big deal than me being on my home planet?"

I can feel Ben's sudden attention to me through the force, even if I can't see him, I can still feel him and hear him in my mind. One of the benefits of the love of your life also being your equal half to a cosmic power.

"You're on Jakku?" He asks. "Why didn't you tell me? I can come to you now if you want me to."

"No Ben it's fine." I say as I reach the end of the ship's bay door. "I can do this... besides you have far more important things to do in the portal plane."

I hear him let out a sigh. "World Between Worlds... we went over this." He says, but I can hear the smile in his voice. Little did he know, our small conversation completely distracted me, and as I come to attention, I notice my feet now stand on the desert ground of Jakku.

"I'll see you soon sweetheart." Ben says gently, almost as if it were a whisper, and with that, I could feel his presence disappear. The nickname he has given me plucks at my heart strings, and causes a rippling sensation from my abdomen up towards that closed off area of my chest.