03 | Expectations

❝She was tired of expectations. She didn't want people to feel the need to live up to hers, and in the same way she never wanted to live up to theirs.❞

She sunk, molding to the material she rested upon

She sunk, molding to the material she rested upon. Her head was propped on something fluffy. She was awake, but she didn't want to be. Life was much better when it was a dream.

Even so, her willpower held firm. Her form tensed for a minute before she forced herself up, wincing when she realized once again that she had injured herself. It took a minute before the memories came rushing back, and she rubbed her eyes, letting her vision clear before she opened them.

The light was the first thing to greet her. She felt the immediate urge to close her eyes yet again, but instead fought it, not daring to.

It was only when she got out of her own head that she saw the werewolf girl that was in the room before. She was still sitting there, looking bored out of her mind as she surfed her phone. Once in a while, her eyes would dart beyond the screen to peek at who she was babysitting, but only when the quiet game beeps ended did she actually give her full attention to her.

"I see you're awake," the werewolf girl said, putting down her phone. "How are you feeling?"

She didn't bother replying, only eyeing the other girl with a mistrustful glare. It took a minute for the other girl to register that she probably wasn't going to talk willingly or easily.

"Oh! You're probably wondering what my name is, huh. How rude of me. It's Cayce. What's yours?"

Cayce. She liked the sound of the name. It rolled off her tongue with minimal effort, efficient and suave. She mouthed the word, letting the sound reverberate around her mouth. She had never met a female of her kind outside of her family. She was wary, albeit curious, but she didn't make a move.

Cayce frowned when she didn't talk. "If you want, there's water on your nightstand. Is your throat dry?"

Water. She did need that. She risked a glance to her right, finding that sure enough, there was water sitting next to her that she hadn't seen earlier. It looked normal, with a clear opacity.

She almost attempted to clear her throat, and then realized what a mistake that could be. She glanced back at the girl in the room with her, Cayce. She had a question. Should I ask? Theoretically, her inability to talk wouldn't impact her ability to fight. The only thing that it might reveal is the lack of water she'd had in the past but considering that she had possibly slept for 24 hours or more, there was no risk.

"Wh—" Her voice crackled in attempt and she swallowed, despite her throat being dry enough to hurt. "Who left it for me?" She wanted names. Names and answers to her many questions.

"Oh, for goddess's sake," Cayce complained in response, rolling her eyes. The amount of attitude and spirit that she had as a female was truly unbelievable. "Someone I trust with my life left that for you. Here, if you want, give it to me. I'll even drink it to prove it."