Chapter 45

MEL POV

The day had come for Chesley's funeral and the family was a mess. Oliver cried and cried. I felt tears run down my face and Chris stood in his position staring into oblivin.

Chris wrote the eulogy and of course, it was beautiful. It made many cry, including myself. There was just so many people there. She was loved by so many people and I think that's why Chris and I remained so strong and calm. If it wasn't for the crowd, we stayed strong for Oliver.

Then the night came, and it took Oliver a couple of hours to fall asleep. We stayed up with him, trying to soothe him into a peaceful night. He had been experiencing frequent nightmares, so Chris and I hadn't got much sleep this week, anyway.

When Oliver finally fell asleep, we walked into our room, wiped from the day we had. I sat on the bed and put my hand on my stomach.

"Hey" Chris said walking in from checking on Oliver once more.

"Hey." I gave him a soft smile.

"So, tomorrow right?" He said smiling back at me as he climbed into bed on the other side. I rotated my head with his movement.

"Tomorrow?" I asked as my eyebrow involuntarily lowered in confusion.

"The appointment." He said kissing my hand which was placed on my stomach.

"Oh yeah!" I said since I had forgotten about it. I looked at my stomach. My bump was barely sticking out and I was already 6 months along. Chris probably didn't notice the increase in my weight because I began to wear bigger clothes for comfort, but I could tell.

"What is it?" he asked noticing something was wrong. I was thinking about how small my belly was for this baby's pregnancy than Oliver's at six months.

"Nothing." I said trying to push the thought out of your mind.

"You sure?" He said getting more comfortable. He pulled the covers over his legs and he set his glasses on the nightstand.

I didn't want to worry him, so I just nodded getting comfortable with him. Chris turned off his nightstand light. Then, we both got into our positions for sleep and I felt his arm wrap around me. He gave me a sweet kiss on the ear, and I felt myself fall asleep.

I laid there in bed unable to sleep. I felt uncomfortable and it just didn't feel right to fall asleep right now. I looked to see Chris out cold next to me.

I slide from under his arm and moved out of bed. I grabbed my phone and looked over to Farley and Drift who were both sleeping at the foot of the bed. I moved to the doorway and once more looked at the three of them sound asleep. They looked extremely peaceful as I left the room.

I made my way over to Oliver's room. I walked close to his bed and saw he was deep in sleep, too. I brushed his hair out of his face, smiling at the view, and gave him a kiss.

I heard some noise coming from downstairs and I assumed it was the dogs wanting to go outside, so I went down there to check it out.

I looked around in the dark searching for either the dogs or possibly Chris; then suddenly, I heard a crash come from the living room.

"Drift? Farley? What did you guys do?" say moving towards the living room. I hear a set of footsteps coming near me.

I quickly ducked into our bathroom. Someone was moving in the house and I had no idea who it was, but I was pretty sure it wasn't Chris. I looked out into the darkness through the half open door and searched the room for a solution to this problem, but all I had was my phone.

My phone. I thought. I have to talk Chris; he keeps his ringer on. He can keep Oliver safe. I texted him first:

Chris there is someone in the house.

Go to Oliver he's in his room

There was no response and I could see he hadn't read it. I slowly pushed the door closed. I believed if I went slow that it'd be quiet, but suddenly It had a creaking sound, so I did it even slower. The sound was quiet, but it was still so loud in this silence.

I was scared. I was panicked at the same time. I closed it slowly, so it wouldn't sound. It was almost completely shut and then

CREEAAKKK

I quickly closed the door completely and locked. I backed away from the door in horror, slowly walking backwards as my body shook.

I hit speed dial for Chris just before I dropped it into the toilet as I trip over it. I hoped and prayed that Chris would wake.

The person who was in our house came running to the bathroom door and started banging on the door. I felt tears come down my face as I became terrified for what would happened.

I heard a bang and footsteps. MANY. Was there more than one person? I thought to myself. Not only did I fear for myself, I was distressed for Oliver and Chris who were asleep upstairs. I

I started to sob, hoping and praying that it'll be fast. I keep rocking back and forth as the banging continued and footsteps continued. My knees pulled into my chest and my eyes shut tight.