𝚂𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚎

Chapter 4

𝚂𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚎

Katsuki's POV

It was my first trip to the Midoriya Empire and so far it was proving to be nothing but a headache

It was my first trip to the Midoriya Empire and so far it was proving to be nothing but a headache. I was accustomed to a quiet and structured life. King Kirishima provided well for his warriors and mages. Those of us who were gifted with magic in our blood were praised and offered leadership among other warriors. 

Eye color was an indicator if a child would be gifted with such blood. Red stood for fire magic, blue was water, and green was elemental magic. Of course, there were the few humans born with blue or green eyes that did not possess magic. That was why red eyes were so treasured. We were rare and powerful.

I knew from a ripe age what I wanted in life. I wanted to fight -- to protect. My magic was going to be used for good instead of destruction. Most fire magic was dangerous and destructive, a rare and collateral power that few held. Mine was no different.

I trained from a young age for the Kirishima's, and when I was sixteen years of age, I enlisted to be a warrior. It was my calling. Never in a million years would I have imagined my talent, hard work, and magic being shipped off to be some warprize to a weak Emperor.

However, my King was fond of the Midoriyan Empire and I was the best of his warriors. At only twenty years I have seen both war and peace. I have fought and kept my King safe. Yet, he repaid me with this.

The carriage ride to the new Empire took two days, and by the time we reached the lands I was ready to blow up the next man who dared look at me wrong. King Kirishima was in high spirits -- per usual -- and I was tasked with keeping the other warriors in line. I knew not how the King was to survive without me. I wanted nothing more than to combust his entire office when he broke the news.

Evidently, Emperor Midoriya's personal guard was retiring after 30 years of serving and wishes for only the best as his replacement. His requirements were that the replacement is focused, unattached, strong, and born to magic. King Kirishima chose me out of hundreds -- I was a worthy offering for the job and could not refuse my King when he offered my service to the young Emperor. 

The closer we got to the palace the more unease I felt. I was unsure of this change but knew nothing of fear. I was not afraid of the situation I had found myself in. My capabilities were great and there would be none better than myself for such a task. However, my gut twisted as we stepped from the carriage and I laid eyes on my new home.

"Come, Katsuki. We must hurry. His majesty is waiting for us," King Kirishima rushed us long.

Only the Emperor was not waiting for our arrival. He was late.  Although being late was nothing new for a King or Emperor. They had duties to attend to that were important. I stood post behind my King and scanned the room. The hall was stone with a large wooden table in the center of the room. We all had a place at the table as we waited the arrival of Emperor Midoriya.