Chapter Thirty

The End

♔♔♔

THE GOLDEN DAWN signaled the start of a brand new day. It was gleaming bright, spilling luminous light across the sandy shores, illuminating the walls of our beach villa. The sunlight crept into every crevice it could reach, dancing across ceilings and climbing each wall. Outside my window, the sun had just risen above the horizon, hovering above the fine line that separated the ocean and the sky, both equally blue.

Gulls could be heard gathering on the sand, some gliding through the skies as they searched for food that would fill their bellies. With the rise of the sun, the creatures had come to life and it was time for me to rise too.

I slid off the bed, throwing the sheets off of me before shuffling down the corridor and into the kitchen. The rest of the house was mostly silent, its inhabitants most likely still asleep after a long day yesterday. However, as I crept nearer to the kitchen, I could hear the clinging of cups and plates, along with some hushed whispers. It was only after I turned the corner had I realized that it was Xavier, still clad in his sleepwear, swaying lightly to the beat of his music that streamed from his phone.

He had a few plates and cutlery laid out on the dining table, spatula in hand and a frying pan in another. On the kitchen counter sat a few eggs that rocked back and forth as if threatening to roll off the surface and onto the floor.

Seeing Xavier standing there made my blood freeze. I woke up with the thought that after last night's talk with Harr, I could finally put everything down and tuck it away. However, with Xavier now in front of me, I realized that was impossible. There was no way for me to run away and hide from the problems that plagued my mind. Sometimes, the best way to deal with it was to face it head-on.

Now, do I run and hide or do I muster up some courage to walk forward?

Xavier spun around before I could even make a decision. He wore a bright smile reminiscent of the morning light, grinning brightly and waving once he caught sight of me. I hadn't even realized it until I felt the metal of the necklace chain prick my palm. My hands had automatically reached for the charm that dangled from my neck again.

"Morning, Aiko!" He greeted.

It seemed to be a sacred routine at this point. Smile, adorn a mask, do not show your feelings.

"Good morning," I returned. "You seem awfully chipper today."

"That's because I am." Turning back to the counter, he washed one of the mugs that were available, swiftly filling it up with warm water from a jug before passing it over. I took it slowly, careful not to let my fingers touch his. "It's hard not to be happy when all I've ever wanted is finally in my arms. And it's all thanks to you."

"I wouldn't dare to take all the credit." Sipping at the warm water, I placed it on the table once I was done. "You worked hard as well."

"Yes, but I don't think I would've been able to do it without your help. And Harr, of course, but don't tell him I said that."

Xavier reached up, rubbing his head sheepishly, a faint blush creeping onto the apples of his cheeks.

"I just wrote a simple guidebook, that's all." I shrugged.

"Ah yes, the guidebook."

All of a sudden, the air between us grew tense. Xavier grew serious, standing up a little straighter, expression tight and grim with his fists clenched at his sides.

"As promised, I'm prepared to do anything in exchange for your help, as a fee."

My eyebrows shot up, lips parting a little in shock at Xavier's sudden bold proclamation. The look of determination that glazed over his eyes was accompanied by a stroke of bravery, almost as if he believed I would have him accomplish bizarre requests as a fee. Truthfully, I had already forgotten about the fee. The time where I had asked for it seemed so long ago. I had put it off because I couldn't think of anything I wanted back then but now I could think of too many, all of which were unreasonable requests.