Chapter 10

Receiving a kind warning from Liu Migyan in advance during the siblings visit in the Liu estate. Shen Qingqiu was not even surprised when one morning, after Binghe just served him his breakfast, Liu Qingge kicked his door down without even a warning.

Liu Qingge's not in a good mood, okay? He's gotten different people from their clan sending him messaging talisman every single damn day and it was even more suffocating during their visit at their family home demanding to know when he plans to marry to "carry on the family name" and he only gives it a day and a half before they start finding him here too after he left without letting anyone know, so in his defense he's cranky and sleep-deprived and rather done with the entire world at the moment.

Shen Qingqiu blinks at him again, but thankfully he's either still too sleepy or too used to the Bai Zan Peak Lord's own brand of 'dealing with his personal shit' at this point to take true offense. Finally he just shrugs and says, "Tea or porridge?"

Liu Qingge takes the porridge, because why the hell not!

Shen Qingqiu ordered Binghe to bring him another set of food while patiently waits through each furious spoonful, and something in his studied patience slowly unravel the burning knot of tension in Liu Qingge's chest in a way talking never could.

The Bai Zan Peak Lord knows Shen Qingqiu is merely treating him like an angry, defensive cornered demonic beast, and that sort of pisses him off, but it's a distant fury, because right now, the silence does help. He knows Shen Qingqiu is still being generous and will wait him out and not judge him for needing time before he starts mocking him to his heart's content, and somehow it's exactly what he needs.

"I- The Liu clan. They gave an ultimatum."

"Okay."

"They're demanding a marriage or we will be disowned."

" . . . . . . . . Okay."

"I just." Liu Qingge sighs and set the plate down. Now his anger is starting to collapse, leaving behind only defeat and resignation. "My sister, she's far too young to get married, but even between the two of us without the backing of the Liu clan for my sister. I can't let her face that."

Shen Qingqiu was really tempted to laugh and mock him. Tell him that just the name of Cang Qiong Sect is already a big sore thumb for a backing, plus she's the freaking head disciple of Qi Qingqi of Xian Su Peak - Why sort of name is more honorable than that - but refrained from doing so. Because what the hell does Shen Qingqiu know about the inner workings of the Liu clan?

"I'm surprised they didn't arranged a marriage for you."

Liu Qingge laughs quite uncharacteristically. "They did. Some princess out in the west kingdom or something. Luckily for me, she was already trying to elope so I just closed my eyes and went back to killing hordes of monsters and that was the end of that."

Shen Qingqiu drinks his tea calmly, studying Liu Qingge eyes so keen he almost wants to flinch back. "Oh, looks like there are still a lot of sensible people out there to see that they won't be able to handle a brute like you."

"Will you die if you don't insult me for one day?" he sneered. Liu Qingge is terrible at social convention, he knows, even Shen Qingqiu acknowledges this and they don't get along. Or do they?

They've been dealing with each other's problems, poking their heads where they didn't needed to just to spite each other and yet... and yet, Shen Qingqiu was the first place where Liu Qingge always first turned to when things are going south. It's almost given that he gives him his unconditional trust despite the Qing Jing Peak Lord having a habit, a glorious and terrible habit, of constantly hurling insults at him and saying things Liu Qingge really doesn't want to hear, although to be fair, most of the time he does too.

"Does it need to be a woman? Or just a marriage?"

"I don't know and I don't care!" Liu Qingge mutters angrily. "They just wanted a ceremony or something." And yeah, Liu Qingge maybe wants that too someday, in the future. Right now he's Cang Ciong Sect's Peak Lord of Bai Zan. Dedicating his life to cultivation and battle was all Liu Qingge wanted and he's just not ready, at all, to add a cultivation partner or a child to that kind of life. Well, he might make an exception for someone, but that seemed more impossible.

Shen Qingqiu stares at him for a moment before standing up from his seat. "Then, let's go."

"Where to and why?" Liu Qingge frowned.

"To the Liu estate of course." And then Shen Qingqiu turns his world absolutely upside down. "We're going to get married."

Liu Qingge drops his cup. There's a sound of someone choking from outside the bamboo house but that's not important, simply ignore it as a background noise for now.

"Yue QingYuan would have me executed," is the first thing he manages to force out between the faint feelings that numbs his lips.

Shen Qingqiu rolled his eyes with a shrugs. "He's not my guardian or keeper. I decide what I want to do and who I want to marry," he murmurs, and Liu Qingge winces. The Sect Leader's doting and blatant favoritism toward him really didn't hide much of his feelings and intent. Shen Qingqiu should have been aware of that and yet...

Watching Shen Qingqiu fiddling with his fan anxiously, not meeting his eyes and that blush that was spreading in his pale face tells Liu Qingge enough. That made Liu QingGe turn red as well. His chest feeling light in happiness. He didn't need to think anymore.

"Shen Qingqiu," Liu Qingge says gently. "It's strangely disconcerting for you to offer, but – but we're just..." Liu Qinnge could say 'friends' because he's already long ago entertained thoughts that it simply did not end there! "I didn't come to you asking you to save me. But are you sure?"

He knows Shen Qingqiu will read his unspoken words: I will never treat you the way she did.

"I-I know I'm not, you know." Shen Qingqiu stammers for the first time since he's known him as he hides his embarrassment behind his fan "The easiest person to get along with. But. I thought . . . I thought I'd offer."

Shen Qingqiu is not very good at being touchy-feely. Neither is Liu Qingge, for that matter. But he knows, through countless times he spent with this man, that touch is important. Touch demonstrates intent and trust and companionship, so Liu Qingge lets his slow approach and gentle hug communicate what sentiment Shen Qingqiu would never believe if Liu Qingge used words alone.

Shen Qingqiu entire body stiffened against his chest.

"I'm a brute who only knows how to swing his sword." Liu Qingge repeated Shen Qingqiu's own snarky remarks at him in amusement.

Shen Qingqiu chuckles and said "I'm a scum who always use underhanded methods to win."

"I'm always away hunting monsters and challenging strong opponent to improve. I'm rarely here."

"I spend a lot of time in seclusion, improving my own cultivation."

"I don't do well with, you know... People."

Shen Qingqiu rolled his eyes at him "There are plenty of days where I don't even want to talk to anyone else ever again."

"Then..." Liu Qingge pulled away to look at Shen Qingqiu "Shen Qingqiu would you do me the honor of being my cultivation partner?"

"I thought you'll never ask." Shen Qingqiu smirked.

They get married the following month, in a dreadfully, grandiose ceremony. Much to the newly wed's chagrin. They didn't and never planned for a big and public wedding. But a high name comes with expectations within social setting as well. Everyone has to be invited, the major sects, noble families, powerhouses and the like. It was just for one day anyway, they might as well bear with it.

Afterwards they isolated themselves on Shen Qingqiu's abode within Qing Jing Peak to consummate their marriage, because there was no Shen Qingqiu wants to stay with Bai Zan Peaks's unruly brats, and fall asleep in Shen Qingqui's bed, wrapped in thick blankets. Liu Qingge, who feels lighter and happier in ways he can't quite describe, kisses Shen Qingqiu on the lips and says, "I owe you one."

"That, you do." Shen Qingqiu smiles, not a smirk, but a genuine one filled with happiness.

END