The Runaway

Lighting lit up the sky as rain poured, making the ground glow with the reflection of London's evening light. Many people scurried across the cobbled ground, desperate to find a way to shelter themselves from the storm. The wind howled, almost proving that this would be a hell of a battery as the dark rolling clouds seemed to block out any light that the day had given them. Amidst the chaos, a carriage was barreling down the road. The driver screamed for everyone to move as he tore out of London towards Blackwood cemetery, located almost a mile out of town.

Halting right in front of the gate, the driver wasted no time sliding off his box and briskly moving to unlock the entrance. He shivered at the idea of what could be lurking out here so late at night that the Schwarzholz family demanded the importance of checking their cemetery when the weather was so disagreeable. "What?! Bloody, Just great!" He cried out as he removed the broken lock, carrying it over to the carriage door. Taking a quick breath, the driver hammered his fist on its door, flinching as it swung open to reveal the displeased look of Edwin Schwartzholz. His cold eyes looked over the broken lock, "What did it?" He asked the young man, who only shook his head and stammered, "No clue, sir."

Muttering a curse under his breath, Edwin held out his hand for the lock, feeling its weight in his palm.

"Go see if there is anything else that we can give to the authorities!" His voice thundered out; after watching the young man scurry away, did Edwin finally close the door. His eyes still on the lock when a woman's voice called out, "Dear, what is going on? Has somebody tried to break into fathers grave again?"

Edwin turned to her and held up the lock with a sigh, "It appears so. They may have succeeded this time." The woman took one look at the lock and, with a hand pressed to her forehead, sat dramatically down next to her daughter, "My dear husband, you must ask the driver to bring us in! we must make sure that your father's grave is alright." She gave a quick tug on her daughter's arm, pulling the girl away from the window she had been peeking out. "Honestly, Delia, don't look out that window when it is storming! You will get electrocuted again!" She cried out to her daughter, who rolled her eyes and looked away as she sunk into the seat.

It wasn't long before they were pulling into the graveyard; Edwin ran a hand through his fairly kempt golden locks as he sighed. "What rotten luck we seem to be having as of late. How many times have we had to come out here because someone has been trying to break in!" He watched his wife and child across from him; Delia refused to look at either of them. Still, he could guarantee that his wife was utterly relishing in the fact that she could put on a show.

Holding Edwin's face in her hands, his wife smiled, "My dear Edwin, we will find out what is going on. But first, we should make sure to get ahold of the London authorities and tell them another break-in has occurred."

"I wouldn't bother with them, Gabrielle. They seemed to have much more important things to do!" Edwin retorted as the carriage lurched, signaling that they had come as close to his father's grave as they could with the carriage; the remaining distance must be done by foot. Gabrielle held his hand tightly, her pale blue eyes aimed at his ring before raising to his gaze, "My dear, I am certain that this time they will listen! This time, we have physical evidence of what we are claiming!" Her words made Edwin smile and nod before he made his way back to the door, broadening his shoulders as he began to step out, "In that case, the driver and I shall check it out. I don't think I can't trust that halfwit to do this kind of job properly." Delia groaned at the overly mushy display of affection. Seeing her parents that way made her nauseous.

The men trekked through the mud to the grave, unaware of the figure approaching the carriage. They limped towards the horses, clutching their sides as the blood-stained more of their clothing before getting washed away in the rain. Knowing they had no time to waste, the stranger tried to unfasten the horse from its master's carriage. Their hands fiddled with each strap desperately; unable to find any success, they moved closer to the carriage. Then, grabbing the rails that connected the horse to it, they gave a quick jerk, breaking it as they stumbled back into the carriage.