Chapter 9

"Honeymaren?" Kristoff cautiously raised his finger to catch the tear that had begun to roll down her face.

A sharp breath brought Honeymaren back into focus and a sharp sniffle cleared her nose, "So, an eclipse? What does that mean? What did it say?"

"When the sun and moon switch places, on the longest night and the shortest day. Magic will be at the mercy of men. It is only at this time can one truly rid the world of its retched curse. A new order can be set in place, a new balance." Kristoff read from the book with deepening concern.

"Why is it written like magic is the enemy?" Honeymaren could still feel her soul breaking, the weight of Elsa's body still in her arms.

"Probably because most 'civilized' people fear what they don't understand and try to capture it for themselves." Kristoff spoke with a sneer, as a man of the mountains himself he never understood the opinions some people in the world he shared.

He distinctly remembered overhearing a conversation held by two diplomats that had come to the castle remarking how wonderful it was that Anna had unique control over Elsa, as though Elsa was a force to be considered dangerous. Their talks about using the power she wielded for political or economical gain. Thankfully, Anna had never heard them.

"Is there any mention of Ahtohallan?" Ryder was chewing his thumbnail now, he didn't much like what he'd found. Not in the slightest.

"Doesn't look that way..." Kristoff flipped back and forth between the pages before letting out a heavy sigh, "Still doesn't help us."

Honeymaren turned away from the book, she too feeling no comfort in the knowledge. Her arms crossed over her chest as she took a deep breath. Her eyes ping-ponged around the beautifully designed room. The inlaid shelves that reached up into the vaulted ceiling, the beautiful brickwork on the hearth, the elegant couch that sat facing the large window that exposed the Enchanted forest, the intricate iron work only serving to enhance the view.

A sudden thought sparked and her eyes widened, "Elsa knew."

"What?"

Honeymaren turned with her fists clenched tight in anger, in disbelief, "Elsa remembers everything she reads, she can basically quote every single book in here verbatim!"

Kristoff and Ryder both looked at each other, each one taking a subconscious step back. Though it was Kristoff who dared to speak what they were both thinking, "And...?"

Honeymaren could feel a deep cold forming in the pit of her stomach, "Oh, gods...she knew." Her stomach had begun to churn, not just from being empty, nor from the pain that was starting to crawl up her spine. No, this was deeper.

Ryder held out his hands in confusion, a look of concern over his face when Honeymaren's step faltered slightly in her pace, "What did she know?"

"That's why I found her on the beach! That's why she'd been at Ahtohallan! She remembered! She knew, saw it in the sky!" Her hand waved wildly towards the window before she had to take a moment to breathe, her chest growing tighter, tears that she refused to let fall choking her throat, "But then the men came...and then—that's why she believed Agnire so readily, it must have thrown a wrench in her plans...that's why and then..."

"Still trying to follow here." Ryder had moved closer, his fear for his sister's health growing as he tried to get her to sit down. Though as soon as he made to touch her she turned out of his hold to throw her hands up in the air with great proclamation.

"When I found her on the beach she was wet, she hates swimming. Nokk was already losing his power and so was Elsa! That—Oh..." The world gave a dangerous spin and her arms reached out blindly as everything seemed to tilt sideways. Thankfully, her brother caught her around the shoulders, and Kristoff was quick to bring over a chair. A deep breath lowered her head into her hands as she tried to get the world to stop spinning.