I.

____***____

____***____

THE SKY WAS CLEAR AND THE SUN SEEMED TO SMILE DOWN ONTO THE CREW OF THE DAWN TREADER. Soft waves lapped at the ships side and the breeze passed by like the whisper of a kiss.

They had sailed through Galma, a place full of banquets, jousts and dancing, only weeks ago but it seemed a lifetime away. When she closed her eyes Rani could still imagine that she was surrounded by fanciful halls and sometimes, if she tried hard enough, she could recall the sweet nectar of fruits she had never thought existed.

At night, the soft, haunting music still echoed sweetly in her dreams and the swish of feather light silks felt so real. It was like stepping into another world, one full of sly smiles and lingering touches.

It had all seemed so strange at the time and she knew she was never meant for such riches. As her mother always said, a smart girl knew her place. And, for Rani, her place was on the sea, with the wind in her hair and the water beneath her fingertips.

"Miss Ilea," Reepicheep called out from beside her. She jumped slightly, startled and turned away from the blue waters below, her daydreaming had taken her far, far away from reality.

"Sorry, Reep," Rani rubbed a hand across her forehead as she looked towards the mouse. "I was lost in my thoughts."

"I could see that." He teased and crossed his arms, looking out towards the sea.

Rani felt her face grow warm and she offered him a sheepish smile. He always seemed to catch her in those moments.

The winds weren't strong today and so, the crew didn't have much to do. Rani was supposed to have been sweeping the deck.

"Tell me more about the Narnian revolution Reep." And then remembering her manners, "Please."

Reepicheep gazed over at the endless waters around them and smiled slightly. Rani loved the small warriors stories of the Golden Age. He told them with such spirit and poured his heart into them, that she found it impossible to not listen to him once he started speaking. His tales were ones of courage and honour, ones that Rani had heard growing up and had always wished to be part of.

"Very well," Reepicheep hummed and Rani leant forwards, giving him her full attention. "The first time I met King Caspian, I was chasing down Telmarine guards in a forest. They never saw me coming, they're not the most original bunch either, especially when it comes to last words."

Rani smothered a smile as Reepicheep rolled his eyes at the memory.

"I had managed to tackle what I thought was another Telmarine guard to the ground, they're all the same you see, clumsy and blundering. And –"

"– Reep held his sword to my throat and valiantly ordered me to fight him."

Rani and Reepicheep whirled around to face the King who had creeped up on them. His handsome face was stretched into a wide grin, eyes sparkling as he looked on at the two of them. Unwanted memories of fleeting touches and heated gazes rose to her mind. Rani was quick to push them back down and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, now unsure as to where to look.