Dwalin x Reader

Cold and Miserable. That's how you felt as you were pounded by unrelenting rain. The company of 14 dwarfs and 1 hobbit traveled along the edge of a mountain pass that would eventually lead to Erebor. Your husband, Dwalin, was a couple dwarves in front you making sure that Thorin nor Balin would fall. The path was so narrow that everyone was walking along the path with their back against the rock face.

"Bilbo!" You yelled as you pulled the hobbit by his pack aside as the path underneath partially gave wave.

"Thank you Y/n!" Bilbo yelled his thanks over the storm.

You nodded your head to the burglar and continued along the narrow path trying to keep a eye on the rest of the company as well as the hobbit.

"We must find shelter!" Thorin yelled from the front of the group.

"Look out!" Dwalin called out pointing into the large ravine.

They all looked up in time to see a giant boulder flying through the air and smashing into the edge of the mountain, shattering all around them. Everyone squashed themselves and others against the rock face to avoid the falling stone.

"This is no thunderstorm! It's a thunder-battle! Look!" Balin yelled pointing to two giant creatures breaking large pieces of rock off of each other.

"Well bless me. The legends are true! Giants! Stone giants!" Bofur exclaimed stepping forward to watch as a stone giant threw another large boulder at a stone giant who had stood up behind the company.

"Take cover, you fool!" Thorin yelled as Kili pulled Bofur away from the edge.

More stone giants joined in the fight and the company was sent into an absolute panic. The path became even narrower as falling debris crushed the path on its way down into the ravine.

Suddenly the "mountain" the company was on came to life and started fighting with another stone giant. The dwarves found themselves separated and tried to reunite as the stone giants fought, breaking each other apart, and falling to pieces.

"Y/n grab my hand!" Dwalin yelled to his One.

You swung your hand out but missed Dwalin's hand by a mere hair and watched with fear in your eyes as the company was split farther apart. When the stone giant the company was on fell, half the company was able to escape on a far secure ledge but the other half was still trapped on the stone giant's leg as it stood back up. The stone giant was hit again this time its head knocked off and causing its stone body to turn around and fall straight into the mountain face. As the first group watches, it appears to them that the other group of the Company has been smashed to bits.

"No! No! Kili!" Thorin screamed for his nephew.

The group rushed to the spot where the others appeared to have been crushed, but they were safe in a heaped dwarf pile.

"We're alright! We're alive!" Balin yelled trying to get out from underneath the Gloin.

"Y/n!" Dwalin almost cried as he yanked you out of the dwarf pile and pulled you into a bone crushing hug, "I thought I lost ya." He whispered in your ear.

"I'm here. I'm alright." You whispered back to Dwalin in actually tears.

Their reunion was cut short as Bofur called out to the company.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's the hobbit?" Bofur screamed.

They quickly looked around till Bilbo was spotted hanging off the edge of the mountain, barely holding on with his hands.

The dwarves attempts to pull him up were going unsuccessful because of the wet terrain. Without thinking, you quickly swung down on the cliff next to Bilbo and boosted him up, where the others pulled him up. Luck was not on your side however when you went to climb back up. With all the rain and loose rocks your grip on the rocks came lose in a split second. All hands went over the side of the cliff at the sound of your sudden cry. Dwalin who had fallen back from pulling up Bilbo jumped to his feet finally realizing what had happened. Time seemed to have frozen as Dwalin stood in fear of what he heard. One by one the dwarves sat up coming up with empty hands.

Dwalin always not thinking first began to cry silent tears because his worst fear had been released. Not matter what he had tried to say to you before the journey began you had assured him that you could take care of yourself and nothing was going to happen to you. Having turned his back from his fellow dwarves however, he did not realize that Thorin had not stood up empty handed.

"Let's not do that again shall we?" you said brushing off your clothes still not realizing Dwalin had thought you dead. 

Dwalin quickly spun around at the sound of your voice. Within seconds he pulled you into another bone crushing hug.

"Oof! Dwalin!" You squeaked at the sudden embrace.

"Don't ever do that again..." Dwalin cried quietly in your ear.

"Alright, I won't." You whispered back as you held your husband close.

After a few moments Thorin spoke, "Let's get out of here." he commanded and the rest of the company followed suit.

Anybody else think that Dwalin is just a big ol' softy underneath that tough dwarf act?

🐢Kalumiko🐢