CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1

©️𝑬𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔𝑭𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒚

Lin City was located beside a sparkling blue river. In spring, a cool air seemed to wash over the entire city, making the whole city humid yet refreshing.

It was a cloudy day like every other. However, there was an unusual commotion in the city police station.

This was owed to the fact that two young policewoman interns had just arrived at the Criminal Police Unit.

Normally, this would be no cause for alarm. However, these two ladies attracted quite a number of officers who curiously poked their heads through the door to get a peek of them.

This was because they looked very special.

Zhao Han, a young criminal police, was the internship liaison officer. At that moment, he, like his other colleagues, was in a daze as he looked at the two ladies.

One was very beautiful, whereas the other one was very… odd.

The one on the left was Yao Meng, a postgraduate in criminal psychology from the Public Security University. She had long hair, big eyes, and wore a simple white shirt with jeans, which also made her look like a model for youth magazines. Her resume was loaded with her credentials: Academic Scholarship, Excellent Student Cadre, star broadcaster in the academy’s TV Station, top ten contestants in the speech contest…

Zhao Han had a hunch that she would no doubt become the new belle* (TN: The prettiest policewoman in the station) of the Lin City Police Station.

As for the other one… Her name was Xu Xu.

From her resume, one could see that Xu Xu had outstanding results. She was constantly ranked first in the academy year after year.

However, Zhao Han had doubts about how she even managed to enroll in the police academy in the first place.

‘Is she only 160cm tall? What a petite lady. Even when she sits up straight on the chair, she still looks underage. Furthermore, her skin looks pale and her face carries no prominent features at all. At first glance, she looks like… Right, like a little bloodsucking zombie from late-night American dramas.

‘She’s even wearing an extremely formal long black coat. The tail of her coat is so long that it is actually reaching her ankles; it doesn’t match her youthful look at all and makes her look both odd and funny at the same time.

‘Also, regarding her name, Xu Xu, it’s pronounced ‘su su’, right? Or is it shh, shh?’

Zhao Han wanted to laugh, but he had always been a shy and kind young man. Hence, he maintained a gentle expression as he turned away from Xu Xu.

Just as he was about to speak, Xu Xu raised her head and looked at him. Zhao Han was slightly taken aback.

During their previous conversations, Yao Meng was the one who did most of the talking, while Xu Xu kept quiet throughout and did not meet his gaze even once.

Nonetheless, now he noticed that her pupils were pitch-black and exceptionally penetrating. They looked very calm and dignified.

It felt like she had a clear insight into his thoughts and of his judgmental attitude towards her.

Yet, in the blink of an eye, she had once again lowered her head and reverted back to that same pale, ill-looking expression.

Zhao Han coughed softly and said, “Captain Ji is on leave for a few days. He’ll confirm your internship mentors when he returns.”