thirty-two 🍼

it's nine in the morning and, surprisingly, tyler is still asleep. josh figured the boy would've woken up extra early, considering today is his birthday, but he really doesn't mind. it gave him plenty of time to get the boy's birthday surprise, as well as time to make chocolate chip pancakes. he has a plate of them in his hand now, sippy cup full of milk on the other, as he ascends the stairs to their bedroom.

"babyyy, time to get up!" he announces, smiling as the little one groans.

"no, sleep," tyler mumbles, lifting the blanket over his eyes when josh flicks on the lights.

"the birthday boy can't sleep all day."

"oh my gosh!" tyler gasps, now wide awake as he springs out of bed. "it's my birthday, daddy!"

"i know, silly. why do you think i brought you breakfast?" josh teases, never able to stop smiling when tyler is around.

"b'eakfast in bed?" tyler giggles, climbing atop the duvet and gathering his stuffies to sit next to him.

"that's right," josh nods, handing the boy his plate and setting the sippy cup on the bedside table. "i'm going to get my plate and i'll be right back, okay?"

"okay!" tyler beams, trying his hardest not to spill his food. it's really hard when he can't stop bouncing because he's so excited. he stuffs a couple of bites into his mouth by the time josh returns. "i get presents, daddy?"

"of course, honey. your present is waiting for you downstairs."

"okay, present time!" tyler urges, trying to hand josh his barely-touched plate of food.

"uh-uh, nice try. i know you're excited, but you have to eat first," josh says, shaking his head.

"but daddy! too excited, can't eat..."

"ty, your present will still be here when you're done eating. please, for daddy?"

tyler can't help but smile. his daddy is very convincing. "fiiiine."

they spend the next ten minutes or so eating their breakfast, tyler rambling on about a dream he had while josh listens contently. something about them taking a space ship to a different universe where all of tyler's stuffies came to life. absolutely adorable.

"full now, i promise!" tyler swears, drawing an 'x' over his heart. josh glances at his plate and sees it wiped almost completely clean.

"good job, honey. i knew you could do it. after we take care of our dishes you can have your present, okay?"

"okay!" tyler agrees, hopping out of bed and bolting downstairs. josh quickly follows behind, not wanting the boy to peak at his present. together, they rinse off their plates and set them in the dishwasher. "now, daddy, now?!"

"yes, baby," josh chuckles. "close your eyes. no peaking. if you do, you're getting put in time out and can't play with your present."

"hmph," tyler pouts, arms crossed over his chest as he squeezes his eyes shut tightly.

josh scoops the boy up and carries him into the living room. he puts tyler down on the couch, waving his hand in front of his eyes to make sure he isn't peaking.