Prologue

Someone once said, "Stay close to anything that makes you glad you are alive." For most people, they instantly are thinking of their families and friends but for me it's a very different story. I knew I was different from everyone else my age since I was about five. At first, I just brushed it off as a minor side effect of a disease, but I never thought it would be something involving my genetic makeup. Boy was I in for a big surprise when I got older.

The first signs of me being a mutant were minor signs and were brushed off as me having a strong immune system. What I'm getting at here is that I had a strong healing factor. It allowed for me to pretty much walk away from a fight or sickness without even on small scratch or sign that I even had something. No one thought it was some genetic mutation at the time because some people just so happen to have that strong of immune system.

It wasn't until the summer before sophomore year of high school that I realized I was different from the rest of my peers. At first, I started having black dots in my vision especially when I was looking at people, but I just took it as some sort of eye problem. I had an eye appointment two days before school started and I was hoping for the best but that is what lead to the biggest surprise in my life.

"Kristine how are doing today." Inquired Dr. Quinten as she walked into the room.

"I am doing good. Not as many spots in my vision as usual." I replied as the corners of my lips lifted.

"That great to hear Kristine but we still need to see if there is anything wrong with your eye muscles though." Remarked Quinten getting the required machines ready.

"Okay this might sting and leave you temporarily blinded but after a few minutes your vision should return." Explained Quinten standing beside the main machine a few minutes later.

I nodded and tried to relax knowing what is to come. There was a bright flash and the next thing I knew I couldn't see a thing. I breathed in deeply and slowly released it as I heard Dr. Quinten rummaging around getting things done with the test she just did. Finally, after a few minutes, I was starting to see basic outlines knowing that my vision was slowly returning. That's when I saw a shadow detach from Dr. Quinten and I tried saying something to her, but nothing came out. Dr. Quinten turned to me and realized that I had moved a little bit in my seat.

Before I knew it, she was at my side repeating, "Are you okay? Kristine say something."

Even though I could hear her perfectly clear, she still seemed distant as though she or I was under water. All I could focus on once my vision was cleared were the shadows that seemed as though they were alive. Before I knew it I felt something winding in my hair and I was burying my face into my legs trying to make it stop. After a few minutes I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, so I lifted my head and it seemed as though everything was back to normal.

"Kristine is everything okay." Inquired Dr. Quinten who seemed genuinely concerned.

I took a deep breath and slowly released it before remarking, "Yeah I guess I just had a scare with my vision coming back."

She seemed to buy the lie and told me that everything seemed fine with my vision. I knew better though after that moment though. Whatever the flash did to my vision brought forth whatever dormant mutation that was lying in my genetic profile out fully.

After that day my life became a living hell because what everyone was calling me in high school was right. I was a freak and I don't know why, unless there is something my mother never told me about my father. That maybe my only clue as to why I am a mutant freak show in a way. It's time to get some answers and settle this issue once and for all before I leave this town.

Notes: If you want to see Kristine Howlett's cosplay go over to my TikTok  @mysticphantave. Also check out my other cosplays and let me know if there are any other ocs you want a story about.