Chapter 1: Getting Some Answers

A few days after graduation

It was about nine o'clock when I decided to go downstairs and get going on my day. This would be the last summer I spend in this small town of Hadesville, Tennessee at least for awhile anyway. I plan on traveling to certain states and maybe to Europe before deciding on what I want to do for college. The main thing I want to get out of all this traveling is to possibly find my birth father if I can get anything out of my mother.

"Well I see that your finally up and moving." Chuckled my mother over her coffee cup as I entered the kitchen.

"Just because I sleep in two extra hours a few days after graduating doesn't mean I'm going to be lazy all summer mom." I remarked as I headed to the fridge to get everything I needed for my breakfast.

Once I had everything, I headed over to the stove and started prepping for scrambled eggs. As I worked on breakfast, I noticed my mother getting some other things ready before heading to the table. I thought she was going to sit down which was fine by me, she was having issues these past few months and doing things for her didn't bother me. Then I heard the subtle click of the television coming to life.

"Well it seems even more people around the world are appearing to be mutant abominations. We have a few politicians' opinions on this matter." Remarked the newscaster before handing off to a what the politicians had to say.

"This shit about mutants is starting to get out of control." I heard my mother mutter as she got the plates down for me.

"I agree. Why can't they see that some of those mutants are trying to live as normal life, but everyone makes it seem as though they are the ones ruining it." I remarked as she set down the plates.

"Dear there will always be people who fear change in this world." Explained my mom before heading to the table.

"I know. Also, mom are you alright? You seem to be in more pain then usual lately." I questioned as I turned the stovetop off.

I separated the eggs onto the plates before putting the skillet into the sink. Once that was done, I grabbed the plates and on my way to the table I got the toast as well.

"I'm fine dear, I'm thinking of asking the doctor the next time I see her to up my prescription." Remarked my mom as she took her plate.

I felt the soft cushion of my chair against my thighs as I sat down in thought. Deep down inside I knew she was lying but I didn't want to push her since I was going to be asking about my father.

"These mutants need to be destroyed for they will pollute the minds of the generations to come to think that they are heroes but in reality, those abominations should be the monsters they fear," exploded one of the politicians.

I began seeing shadows cloud the corners of my vision, but I felt the smoothness of the remote in my hand. "That is enough of this shit. I rather hear about other issues then this." I growled as I searched for something else on tv.

"Baby girl are you okay." Inquired my mother and I felt as though she was glancing at me.

"Well in all honesty mom, I have been thinking about a few things as of lately that I never cared to bother you about before." I responded placing the remote on the table.

Before I knew it, I felt my mother's fingers curling around my own. "Darling whatever is bothering you, you can ask me about." She remarked giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

I felt my chest expanded and my heart began to race. In my mind I knew I didn't want to offend her or bring up any bad memories, but I needed answers.

"The main thing that has been pestering me is who is my birth father." I inquired as I felt my nails skim my scalp.

"I knew you would ask sooner or later, and I'm partially surprised you waited this long to ask darling." Chuckled my mom giving me her unique smile that only comes out for me.

I felt the corners of my lips raise as I returned her smile. At least she was expecting me to ask at some point in my life. "I understand if you don't remember everything, but can you tell me as much as you can recall." I insisted knowing its been more then eighteen years since it happened.

She took a second before recounting, "Well I actually first met your father when he saved my life. I was with some of my friends and we were in one of the wooden areas of Yellowstone where we should not have been."

I gave her a look that pretty much said 'What the hell.' She laughed before finishing off her orange juice.

"As I was saying. We just so happened to stumble across two mutants fighting and my friends instantly screamed and ran. I on the other hand stood there in awe but before I knew it I was submerged in the nearby creek." Reiterated my mom handing me her plate as I was heading to the sink.

"Let me guess my father jumped in after you, forgetting about the other mutant." I mused as I felt the countertop dig into my back as I stared at my mother.

"He did and after he got me out, he was amazed that I didn't run or was even scared of him. I told him that I was accepting of mutants, but he figured that there was more that I wasn't telling him. Finally, I gave in and told him that I explain in full over a meal and drinks and after that one thing lead to another." Revealed my mother getting up from her seat and heading towards the living room.

I followed knowing that there maybe more and I joked, "And it just so happened a few weeks later you found out you were having me."

"Yes, and the only thing he gave me to remember him by were his dog tags." Informed my mother as she grabbed the dog tags off the framed American flag we had on the mantle.

I felt the cool metal of the tags touch my palm before faltering, "I thought these tags were Grandpa Fuhler's tags so that's why I didn't mess with them."

"No those are your father's tags. Grandpa Fuhler's are in the memory chest I have for him, but I knew you wouldn't mess with them since you think they were someone else's." Explained my mother giving me a warm smile.

As she was explaining that, I was examining the tags noticing that the only name visible was his code name.

"Before you ask, your father has a healing factor that allowed him to live through several wars and well over a hundred years." Remarked my mother before I could ask how old the tags were.

"That explains quite a bit and mom thank you for telling me everything." I breathed trying to take everything in. Now I had even more reason to stick with my plans to travel around the country to try and find him.

Let me know what you think of the story. I'm sorry if this isn't the best because I usually write these out before typing and usually edit as I go.