Letting her go

Kim Seokjin
1997
Italy, La Vie En Cathedral

He rushed down streets, veering left and right until he screeched to a halt in front of a massive cathedral. Taking a moment to comb his fingers through his blonde locks, smoothing out the wrinkles in his pristine white dress shirt and adjusting his tie, he walks up the steps to the cathedral. Two men, who he presumes are doormen, open the grand varnished oak door. The sight before him leaves him breathless. A magnificent chandelier hung in the middle of the hall, its light casting a light golden glow on everything. A white carpet extends to the altar where the couple will say their vows and seal their lives together, along with pillars with vases of roses on top of them, aligned on the side of the pews at regular intervals. People are already seated on the pews that have been covered in shimmering white fabric, a low rumble of chatter disrupting the peace within the cathedral. His eyes wonder till they come across a bunch of girls in matching dresses, the brides maids. He follows them as they turn the corner and slip into a room. He barely needs three guesses to know who's inside.

Her.

Hwan Seunghee.

He strides up to the door hesitantly and knocks. He can hear footsteps approaching the door and not a second later, a girl sticks her head out.

"Yes?" She questions. He clears his throat and fiddles with his cufflink.

"I'm Seokjin, Seunghee's best friend." The girl opens her mouth to speak, probably to tell him to go away, when a soft voice inside calls out, "Let him in."

The girl obliges and opens the door to let him in. If Seokjin thought the main hall looked beautiful, then it could never compare to the angel stood before him. Hwan Seunghee stood on a small platform in an elegant white wedding dress that sparkled like a diamond. The top half of her hair in a braid that cascaded down with the rest of her freed ebony locks. She smiles when she see's him and does a twirl.

"How do I look?"

Seokjin can't fight the giant grin that makes it way onto his face.

"As bright and beautiful as the sun itself." The words escape his lips without hesitation. Seunghee smiles brightly, but if one would look closely they'd see the hint of melancholy hidden under her facade of utter happiness.

"You ready for this?" Seokjin teases, a smirk gracing his lips. Seunghee's lips lift at the corners, challenging Seokjin's smirk with one of her own.

"You bet I am." Seunghee thinks she may be imagining things but she sees Seokjin's smirk drop slightly.

"Hee, could I have a word with you. . .in private?" The others in the room all open their mouth's to protest when Seunghee raises her hand and inclines her head towards the door, signaling them to leave. Hesitantly, they all file out leaving a nervous Seokjin and a curious Seunghee alone.

Seokjin gazes at the woman he's known his entire life, his best friend, his home, his shoulder to cry on, his pillar of strength, the love of his life. He thinks back to the years when he and Seunghee had once upon a time loved each fiercely, with no intent to part. But their love had burnt out, like a star, it had died and instead born again as something more fragile. True, Seunghee loved Seokjin, but not how Seokjin loved her. Seokjin's heart still belonged to Seunghee while Seunghee's heart belonged to another, the same man she was to wed today. She loved Seokjin the same way she did back before they even knew what love actually was, she simply loved him platonically.