Chapter Eight

"Back in the woods," Violet begins, "I saw they had you pinned and I..I just got so crazy. When I heard you call for help, I didn't even think. I just let go of the arrow..I wasn't even sure if I'd hit her. And then Louis got shot. Six..just six inches over and we'd be digging another grave. I-I really thought you were dead."

I smile, "It's great to see you again."

"It's great to see you again too. I just..I just wish Mitch and the others felt the same," She adds, "Louis and I told them what happened. That woman who attacked you I-"

"Lilly." Clem hisses.

"So you do know her..we were wondering. Who the hell is she?"

"We knew each other," I tell her, "Just when the walkers showed up. We lived in a motor inn. She murdered a woman in our group during an argument. Lee kicked her out and I hadn't seen her until yesterday."

She nods, "And Willy said someone was with you at the gates?"

"James. He saved us from Abel and Lilly. He's no threat, he hates violence and isn't in their group. He lives on his own in the woods." I reply.

Violet, although I can see the concern on her face, nods, "What about the skins or whatever he was wearing on his face?"

"Walker skin," Clem replies, "He wears it to get past herds. He can guide them too."

After a few minutes, we discuss how to defend our base incase the child kidnapper group does come. Dividing the courtyard, fortifying the walls, and luring them in. 

Mitch bursts through the door, obviously angry that Clem, AJ, and I were back.

"Mitch," Violet says, standing between Mitch and us, "Those people who shot Louis? They're gearing up to attack the school. We need their help."

"Like hell we do," Mitch responds, "For all we know, she's one of them."

"A child-kidnapper?" I question, "Yeah, no thanks. I've had my share of people taking others away from me, I'm not about to do it to someone else."

"If you saw their leader's boot on her neck, you'd realize that neither of them are!" Violet adds.

As Mitch is looking unconvinced, I take a step closer to him, "However you feel about Clem, AJ, and I, shove it. Otherwise, you might end up like Minerva or Sophie."

He flinches and even takes a step back, as Violet begins to get all up in his face.

"(Y/N) and Clem are going to the greenhouse to find barbed wire and anything else they think we need for the fight and you're going to help them." She says.

"Uh no, I'm not." He replies.

"Yes, you are." The blond responds, "It's too dangerous for her to go by herself, you need to start getting along, and you're good for a fight."

Ruby approaches as well, "I can go too. You know, to keep the peace."

"Fuck Vi, since when are you the one making the calls?" Mitch hisses, shoving her.

Suddenly I feel protective and stand between them, "Probably because no one else stepped the fuck up."

She smiles at me, "What (Y/N) said."

As Violet explains the situation to the rest of the group, the four of us head to the Greenhouse. The door is locked when we arrive, so we search the perimeter for another entry point.

Clem spots a ladder.

"Mitch, give me a boost." Ruby says.

"What?" He replies, "Make one of them do it!"

I smirk, "Okay, I will."

Despite Clem's protest, Ruby and Mitch hoist me up to the ladder and I jump through the window of the greenhouse. The inside doesn't seem to have many walkers in it. As two wake up from the noise I created from jumping in, I grab a nearby knife and stab one walker's head. I stun the other and then stab them through the head as well.

When all are dead, I get the door open and we look for the barbed wire. Mitch also says we could make a bomb, so we start looking for propane as well. We eventually get to the back where the Science Lab was after finding the barbed wire. A lone walker is attached to a few plants. Ruby tells us about her and asks me to kill her. I do it swiftly and as quietly as possible.

Then we continue to look for propane.

After finding everything we need, Ruby asks to bury the nurse she knew years ago. So Clem and I offer to help. Although Mitch doesn't agree, we ignore him and bury her anyways.

Clem and I enter our room to find AJ on his bed. I check his fever just in time when Louis enters with some clothes.

"Brought you these," He says, "I noticed his shirt got messed up when..y'know."

"Thank you, Louis," I reply, "Where did you get them?"

"They were Tenn's back when he got here," He replies, "Should be about AJ's size."

He sets them on the nearest dresser and then turns to us, "So, we've got a greenhouse and..bombs?"

"Mitch's idea." Clem quickly adds.

"I figured. Violet says we'll start getting this place ready in the morning," He pauses, looking down and smiling slightly, "They all seem okay with letting you stay. For now, anyway."

I nod, "But probably will want us gone once the raiders give up."

He also nods, "Maybe so."

"Everyone else seems fine with letting us stay," Clem says, "What about you?"

"It's fine," Louis responds, "At least until AJ heals."

"Hm, (Y/N)? Clem?" AJ says, suddenly awake.

"Hey there, bud," I greet, "How do you feel?"

"Better. Still hurts."

"I imagine."

AJ glances over to see Louis, "Oh, hi Louis."

"Hey there, little dude."

"I missed you..are we friends again?"

The boy pauses, glancing at us.

"Just..get some sleep, okay?"

As Louis goes to leave, I speak up.

"Hey, Louis?"

He turns back.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry that you're hurting and that it's..our fault."

He shakes his head slightly, "It wasn't all you. Marlon..he.. Forget it..I should go."

He shuts the door behind himself as AJ turns to Clem and I, beginning to ask questions.

"I'm not mad at him anymore, are you?"

I chuckle, as Clem and I nearly speak in unison, "AJ, I was never mad at Louis. I understand why he acted that way and why he voted us to leave."

"Me too."

Eventually, we chose a new shirt from Tenn's old ones for AJ to put on in the morning and then the three of us head to bed and get a good night's sleep.

Two weeks later, it's time for the fight of a lifetime.